Hard Drive Shot?

Old 10-27-06, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hard Drive Shot?

I have a gateway about 4 years old. Power comes on but the hard drive light does not. I got a new hard drive tried that. Tried a new cable, reseating the cable, nothing. It comes up with the Gateway screen and a progress bar but won't go past that. The progress bar goes to the end and just hangs. I reseated the CD Rom cable as well. Won't boot from the CD Rom.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-06, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
When you say you got a new hard drive and tried that, it's a little confusing. Can you expand on what you did exactly? A new hard drive would have to be formatted and the operating system installed; or is it not reading the hard drive? Can you get into setup - normally hit "Del" key after the mobo "beep"? And is the hard drive found?

Old 10-28-06, 08:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Also, unlug your CDROMS, and floppy drive, and plug in that old harddrive and try to see if it powers up. If it does this time, you have a bad power supply.

That maybe your whole issue. The harddrive will flash when power is turned on regardless of what the motherboard is good or not. The power for the harddrive comes directly off the power supply. Replace that power supply.