Problems with Router

Old 10-29-06, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Problems with Router

I have a Netgear Wireless Router MR814v2 and lately I have been having problems accessing the internet through the router, but sometimes it works. If I connect my CPU directly to the Cable Modem (Linksys) I can access the internet just fine. Why am I having intermittent problems? I was going to upgrade the router firmware, but if I can't access the internet through the router that will mean that I can't log into te router either right?? Please help.

Thanks,

sweetboy

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-06, 10:20 AM
Well, what type of problem exactly are you having? Connect for a little while, then the internet stops; never get internet, etc.

With a cable modem, the router should be set to obtain and IP address automatically. You should be able to access this page from http://192.168.1.1 from behind the router. Set your option to "obtain IP automatically" there.

If you are not getting internet:
Now, you MUST start your stuff up like this, otherwise your router will not get an IP because the cable modem has already given out the IP for your computer when you hooked it up. You cannot just hotswap the cable between the computer and the router. The IP addresses will conflict.

Make sure you set the "obtain IP automatically" in the router config.

Unplug cable modem
Unplug router
Hook together router and cable modem
Plug in cable modem and let it get all its lights settled.
Now plug in router. Give it a min to settle, then see if you can connect to the internet with the WIRED side of your router. Once you can do this, you can then start to troubleshoot the wireless side.

If all went well, you should never have to do this again (unless a power outage or something, but they usually recover just fine. It's the hot swapping of the ethernet cable that hangs up most folks). If you start your stuff up like I described above, there are lots less headaches.

HTH

Old 10-29-06, 10:47 AM
Thanks do much for replying HTH

My setup is like this:

Cable modem to VoIP router
VoIP router to Netgear MR814v2 wireless router
MR814v2 wireless router Port #1 to CPU

I have tried:

1. Powering down CPU
2. Turn off power to all devices and wait 30 seconds
3. Then turn on Modem til cable light is steady
4. Then turn on VoIP router til internet light turns on
5. Then turn on Wireless Router til Port #1 light turns on
6. Then Boot up CPU

When the CPU booted and I tried opening up IE and going to www. yahoo.com, I got a message saying "Can't find server". So I tried logging into the router by typing in http://192.168.0.1 and I got the same message "Can't find server". Therefore, the only way to successfully get to the internet is to bypass the VoIP router and MR814v2 wireless router and connect Cable Modem directly to CPU. As far as the VoIP router goes, if I connect the Cable Modem to VoIP router I can still make phone calls.

sweetboy

Old 10-29-06, 12:28 PM
I am thinking your VOIP router is not passing the traffic correctly. Can you hook the modem to the wireless router and it work fine (with your computer hooked into port 1)?

If so, I would try hooking the VOIP router up behind the wireless router via a port on the wireless router, if that is possible.

Something like this:

Try this first:
Modem > wireless router > computer. See if that works. Take the VOIP out of the equation for now.

If successful, try this:
Modem > wireless router > VOIP router
hook PC into port 1 and the voip router into port 2 on the wireless router.

See if you have internet and phone.

Old 10-29-06, 04:36 PM
Running a router behind another router may introduce address conflicts because the default settings on most routers is for blocks of addresses from 192.168.1.X or such. Moreover, if you are running windows the two may have been bridged together.

If the router connected to the cable modem boots and gets address 192.168.1.1 and the second router boots and gets address 192.168.1.1 routing would fail because the two addresses are the same.

If the first router is set to issue addresses from 192.168.1.X and the second router is set to issue addresses from 192.168.2.X then the problem won't exist. Check to see if your two routers are not in conflict by connecting to each one in turn by ethernet and checking its settings.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-06, 05:03 PM
I connected the Cable Modem to the MR814v2 wireless router and things worked just fine. Therefore, I guess the problem is the VoIP router conflicting with the MR814v2 wireless router. The three devices have worked before, but after powering down the devices occasionally because of conflits with my wireless TiVo adapter, things got out of sync. So are you guys recommending putting the VoIP router behind the MR814v2 wireless adapter?? My VoIP provider recommended the previous setup, which is why things were configured that way, but it has seemed to cause me problems.

sweetboy

Old 10-30-06, 08:48 AM
it will work if you need to add the dns of your voip router in your cpu setup

this setup will work. modem -voip -router-cpu.

you can either fix your ip on cpu manually or add dns in your cpu to match with voip, so that the cpu will pickup the ip from voip and not from router.

how many output do you have from your voip. if more than one you can put router on one and cpu on second. than you can use router just for wireless conection.

post info for step by step instructions. if you power up devices in the following sequence it may work without any intervention also.

cable modem
voip
router
cpu

post results

placing voip behind router will slow your communication significantly and hence not recommended.

Originally Posted by sweetboy
I connected the Cable Modem to the MR814v2 wireless router and things worked just fine. Therefore, I guess the problem is the VoIP router conflicting with the MR814v2 wireless router. The three devices have worked before, but after powering down the devices occasionally because of conflits with my wireless TiVo adapter, things got out of sync. So are you guys recommending putting the VoIP router behind the MR814v2 wireless adapter?? My VoIP provider recommended the previous setup, which is why things were configured that way, but it has seemed to cause me problems.

sweetboy