recovering stolen cpu

Old 11-03-06, 08:24 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
recovering stolen cpu

My wife's work/home cpu was stolen...it's a laptop...wireless i-net is what we have (dunno if that makes a difference)...

is there anyway of recovering? i mean, can it be traced through the internet or somehow other than finding the cpu in person????

ugh, she's going into the office today to tell her boss!

Old 11-03-06, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 259 Upvotes on 210 Posts
There is a computer version of Lo-Jack being used now, but I would think it's doubtful she had that. Beyond that I think the effort would require way way more time and money spent than the unit would be worth. Hopefully she's on good terms with the boss and there was nothing irreplacable on it.

Depending on where it was stolen from, you could possibly be covered with home or auto insurance for the replacement, but after subtracting the deductible there may not be much savings.

Old 11-03-06, 09:28 AM
N
program

what's the lojack program name? she has her friend's cpu from work now and i'd see if it's on there

Old 11-03-06, 10:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you ever heard of Google.. Try it.. Search for lo jack and be amazed..

Old 11-03-06, 10:54 AM
I highly doubt she has the software installed, but its called Absolute Software's LoJack for Laptops, formerly called CompuTrace. IBM, Dell, HP, and Gateway have begun installing a recovery chip in some computers, but once again, I doubt she has that either.

I don't think its possible to trace it through the internet, unless you had installed something on the laptop to allow this. I'd say that you are out of luck. If it was a work laptop, a lot of companies will have some sort of insurance on the laptops, so it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Old 11-03-06, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sorry to say this, but, kiss the computer good bye. Only computers that will have any type of tracking program is something that costs more the $4k. I HIGHLY doubt her has it.

Old 11-03-06, 03:30 PM
R
I just looked at the web site for lo-jack for computers. I would not waste my money on it.

It works on the premise that whoever steals your laptop is going to connect it to the Internet. It can then tell the monitoring agency where it is so that it can be tracked.

While that might work if the kid down the street steals the computer, it won't work if anyone who knows what they are doing steals it.

A smart thief (if there is such a thing), would not connect it to the Internet or allow it to be connected. He or she would take whatever they could in the way of identity information from the hard drive, and then wipe the drive clean. If they were real smart they would replace the hard drive. Then the program you hope will save you is useless.

Old 11-03-06, 06:21 PM
tae
dont forget to file a police report, and even an ad in the local paper or sales guide asking for info or the return of it, and maybe even a reward. The workplace should have the serial numbers for the computer for the police report.
All computers have hardware that basically uniquely identifies it, but most people don't even know that exists, let alone what the numbers are on their comp. If you did know the numbers, and had some serious comp. nerd friends, they could war drive the area and search for it if it was being used wirelessly, but the odds would still be slim to none.(and yes, i know the numbers can be changed, but most people wouldn't have a clue, and if they did, they would have a good job and not need to steal)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: