cpu "stalls"

Old 11-03-06, 08:33 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cpu "stalls"

well...dunno if "stalls" is the right word...but, let me tell you what happens:

I'll be on the internet...everything is working great for minutes sometimes, an hour another time...no rhyme or reason (doing the same stuff...visiting same sites)....

what happens is all of a sudden, i'll click on a new link...might work great 40 clicks in a row...then, all of a sudden, it won't...cpu will just sit there...it will act like it's loading the site (says opening page...) and nothing will happen...sometimes comes back after about a minute...works fine again for some time...sometimes, it NEVER comes back...and i can't get i-net back again until i turn the cpu off and then back on...

i have a fairly old cpu (7 years)...windows 98...cable modem...it's fast and great when it's not doing this "stall" thing!

advice????

Old 11-03-06, 10:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is Comcast your provider? If so, live with it..

Old 11-03-06, 10:46 AM
I have Comcast and do not have this issue. I think there is something else going on. When this happens next time, check the task manager for anything unusual. Its hard to say what that means, but look for any processes using lots of CPU or memory. Look for any processes that look out of place, such as spyware. Post back if you see anything unusual.

Old 11-03-06, 11:52 AM
A
can you do anything else when this CPU "stalls"

like open word or run other programs. if yes it is explorer issue, if no it is windows/ hard drive issue. i would defrag hard drive, scan it for bad sectors and see if the problem goes away. if problem still persist uninstall the software that was installed before this problem started.

Old 11-03-06, 06:09 PM
C
And after all that has been said, the server is simply too busy to serve your page at the time. I find sometimes that stopping the action and reloading the page will actually improve the response under these conditions. It is almost as if you change places in line, so to speak.

Old 11-03-06, 06:29 PM
tae
and if you want to have a little fun, next time it happens, open a command prompt and type in the word ...tracert...then a space and then the web site url you are trying to go to. see what it says.
c:\documents and settings\tae\tracert yahoo.com
hit enter
you will see the path your computer request has to go through to get there, and maybe see where the breakdown is.

Old 11-03-06, 08:03 PM
N
"like open word or run other programs. if yes it is explorer issue, if no it is windows/ hard drive issue. i would defrag hard drive, scan it for bad sectors and see if the problem goes away. if problem still persist uninstall the software that was installed before this problem started."

Well, I can open other programs...but it doesn't do it w/just explorer...i've ran firefox and have the same problem...

Also, I try to close out and start over/refresh and neither work any faster than just sitting and waiting...like i said, sometimes, i even have to shut the entire cpu down and restart...

I've been told by someone that I'm not sure knows what he's talking about that it could be a faulty motherboard? anyone know if that's right????

Old 11-04-06, 05:27 PM
If your computer only stalls while using the internet, I don't think you have a faulty motherboard. If the problem happens at other times, like using Word or some other application, then you might have a hardware problem.

Have you checked for spyware/viruses?

Old 11-04-06, 06:37 PM
tae
we are assuming there is no router or extra software firewall. do a defrag in safe mode, and do a couple online antivirus/spyware scans. Also clear out the cache.

Old 11-04-06, 06:51 PM
G
if your machine is locking up, almost always that means there's something wrong with the machine itself ... as others have mentioned, scan disk/defrag can often fix a lot of problems ... also, download memtest86 (www.memtest86.com) and use it to test your RAM, since bad memory is oftentimes the culprit of random lockups. Make sure your system is not overheating, because an over heated CPU can oftentimes also cause it to lockup

if it does it with both FF and IE, clearing the cache wouldn't fix anything and it points to a bigger issue with either your OS (Windows) or hardware ... try the scandisk/defrag (along with A/V spyware scans as mentioned) route first to try to eliminate any software issues ... then, test your RAM ... if none of those fix your problem and the RAM tests fine, i'd say it's likely either your motherboard or CPU that's causing the problem.

Old 11-04-06, 07:27 PM
A
firefox usually does not freeze

it is a software issue or may be something to do with your router setting. tell us about your network setup.

if it was hardware you would not be able to run other programs when your explorer "stalls".

can you reload your OS and other programs after formatting the drive. i would try that before blaming the motherboard. in my opinion hard drive failure is more likely an issue than motherbaord if it a hardware issue.

post progress.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: