Another AVG Question

Old 11-04-06, 07:57 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another AVG Question

I run regular virus scans with AVG and keep the database up to date. Usually I don't pay attention to the scan but recently I just happen to look at the screen and noticed that there seemed to be a very low number of files checked in the Complete Scan. It's configured properly -- ' scan system areas' and 'entire computer' are selected.

Last week, an AVG virus alert message popped up while I was working in another program so I ran a scan & it found/eliminated 4 culprits. This morning, another alert but nothing was found. Again the number of files scanned seemed low. Remembering part of the alert, I did a 'Scan Selected Areas' on C:\Documents and settings ... AVG found/deleted 44 Trojans!

Any ideas?

P.S. I'm running version 7.0.409 (not the latest, I know & the 268.13.27/517 database released November 3)

Old 11-04-06, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
44 Trojans? Wow! Make sure you do "deep scans". I know I can choose between that, and a typical scan with McAfee.

Also, make sure you download SpyBot Search and Destroy. It's a great program that stops spyware which carry viruses.

Old 11-04-06, 04:48 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
I always select "Scan Computer" and let it check everything. Takes a while, but you'd be surprised the places it will find a virus.

Old 11-04-06, 04:57 PM
E
"44 Trojans? Wow! Make sure you do "deep scans."

Yup, that's what I've always been doing.

"Also, make sure you download SpyBot Search and Destroy"

Do that too.

Old 11-04-06, 04:58 PM
E
"I always select "Scan Computer" and let it check everything. Takes a while, but you'd be surprised the places it will find a virus."

That's why I asked the question. I always do that too but something has changed. Don't know what.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: