old DSL modem + new wifi router = no internet

Old 11-06-06, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old DSL modem + new wifi router = no internet

My old setup was a Speedstream 5260 DSL modem with an SMC 802.11b router. WEP activated. I upgraded my router to a Gigafast WF719-CAPR 802.11G router. I am able to use my browser to log into the router setup page but don't have internet access. I assume there's communication happening between my pc and the router but not the router to the modem. Am I correct? I tried running it without WEP but had the same effect. I also tried rebooting modem, router and PC to no avail. I switched back to my old router and everything was fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-06, 01:34 PM
Configure the new router in the same manner as the old router.

Old 11-06-06, 01:54 PM
Thanks. I'll try that.

Old 11-06-06, 02:55 PM
Most DSL connections require a login, meaning a username and a password. These will need to be set. There are possibly other settings as well that need to be set.

Old 11-06-06, 03:23 PM
I haven't seen a DSL or cable connection that required a user name or login around here in several years and evan then it was only a few oddball ISP'S requesting it

everything around here is plug and play .

there shouldn't be any router config to copy

when you log in to the router you should see a status link , you can try do a refresh on the WAN and see if that gets you going

I am assuming you have powered the modem and router down and then brought them back up

Old 11-07-06, 01:15 PM
Last night I managed to configure the new router with the same settings as the old router. I didn't have time to restart the whole thing so I will try it tonight.

I used to have to log in with my name and password when I used PPPOE. I moved away from that when I installed a router.

Old 11-07-06, 01:24 PM
No, you didn't move away from that when you installed a router, your router was configured to do the log in.

The new router needs to be configured the same way as the old one, to automatically log in..

You didn't say who your DSL carrier is, but Verizon, for example, requires a login.

Last edited by racraft; 11-07-06 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-07-06, 01:38 PM
hmmmm....I see. Maybe that's what's missing. I'll definitely look into that. I'm currently serviced by Istop but they were acquired by 3Web. I still use the same service under Istop.

Old 11-07-06, 03:19 PM
around here verizon requires no log in or password , I probably install configure 2 to 3 a month and have never needed that.

dont need it for embarq , comcast or roadrunner either

Old 11-07-06, 05:01 PM
Verizon DSL in my area uses PPPOE which requires a connection to be set up similiar to a dialup connection that requires a user name and password.

Old 11-07-06, 05:31 PM
interesting , its plug and play here

verizon and embarq are also starting to provide modem /wireless router combos with new service .

Old 11-07-06, 06:43 PM
Even though Verizon is providing the equipment (here they have been doing it for years, and still are), it must be programmed at the residence with the username and password so that it will connect with PPPoE.

RoadRunner here initially required a username and password, but has since dropped that requirement.

Old 11-07-06, 07:17 PM
not here , open the box , power up and your online

Old 11-08-06, 06:18 AM
Thanks guys. I had changed so much of the settings in the router to match my old one by the time I finally put in my login name the router was too screwed up to work properly. I finally reset the thing and entered my login name only and now it's up.

I had saved my old config file so it was just a matter of loading it up in the past I completely forgot I had to log in using PPPoE