INI file or registry value issue

Old 11-07-06, 06:12 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
INI file or registry value issue

Well,I am back for more education...my parents have a puter that when it boots up,a box appears that states 'INI file or registry value. Systraymenu.' When clicking ok it goes away. Is there a file missing that I can reload for them? Everything works as it is only a nuisance, but it would be nice to remove this warning. Thanks as always,Kegler.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-06, 06:13 AM
K
Instructions for cleaning up puter files

Is there a quick instruction list online on how to clean up your puter when it begins running slow? I am trying to make my parents time on the puter more enjoyable. Again,thanks for your help. Kegler

Old 11-07-06, 06:48 AM
R
I have merged your threads.

Based on what you are asking, I recommend a complete reformat of the hard drive and a re-installation of the OS.

Then I recommend that you install and confiure an good anti-virus program and an anti-spyware program.

Finally I recommend that teach your parents about viruses and spy-ware and about proper operation of their computer.

Old 11-07-06, 11:21 AM
tae
do they have yahoo dsl?

using the xp disk to restore windows should work, but I also like a new format and install every so often.

Old 11-08-06, 03:49 PM
K
They do have Yahoo DSL. If I restore windows,will they lose any saved information or internet favorites,saved music or files? Thanks!

Old 11-08-06, 10:24 PM
tae
It could actually be coming from the 2Wire Gateway software that can get installed for SBC Yahoo! DSL.
Try this:
Click on Start, Click on Run, type in msconfig, Click on OK, Click on Startup, if it's there,uncheck 2wSysTray in the list of checked boxes, Click on OK and restart your computer. What you are doing here is simply disabling 2Wire from the list of startup components. This should not have any effect on the fuctioning of the broadband link, Internet connection and/or 2Wire modem and you should still be able to access 2Wire and the HomePortal in the Programs menu.

As to cleaning it up, if a reformat and fresh install of windows isn't an option you'd like to do, then get a spyware/malware scanner program, like spybot or windows defender, or even run an online scan every so often, like at least once a week.
Here's a list of some good free programs:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=157468

Last edited by tae; 11-08-06 at 10:36 PM.