New Acer Laptop

Old 10-18-06, 07:14 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Acer Laptop

I just purchasd a new laptop and would like it to last for a while and continue to perform just like it does out of the box. My friends all have laptops and a while after they own them they get slowed down, filled with crap, and dont work so well. What should i do to keep my computer in top working condition? I am not very computer savy so i would appertiate any help. I have Norton Anti-Virus but that is really all i know, i went through the procedure to updte and register it when i set up my computer. Thanks

Old 10-19-06, 12:05 AM
D
Laptops slowing

Be sure that you are running Norton Firewall or any firewall. Check updates and scans weekly. Also maybe monthy download three different spam,adaware and such devices. Go to P.C. world or CNET and download for free. Also be careful of you searching habits and philsing. Dont run your laptop on your LAP either the fans need to be open to keep things cool, try new egg for a bottom cooler or case of acc. to keep it cool and running top shape. Best Buy, Circuit city also has them. What I find handy if the briefcase that holds the laptop and keeps it cool. Check them out.

Last edited by david_allard65; 10-19-06 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-19-06, 04:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The more programs you install, the slower it will get.. Also, the type of programs determine what resourses get eaten up.. Your computer WILL slow down, but mainly on bootup..
Check Start-Programs-Startup every now and then.. Many programs install themselves there so they are loaded into memory when you turn the computer on.. Usually, you can delete anything that is there.. Just Right click on each item, and delete it..

Old 10-19-06, 10:00 AM
C
Avoid Microsoft software, for the most part, as well as Norton and Symantec.

Go for the smaller lesser known, usually free things.

Use Firefox and Thunderbird for your web/mail

Disable scripting, or set in in a "conditional" state.

Old 10-19-06, 10:52 AM
R
ALL versions of Windows eventually bog down a system. ALL versions of Windows eventually need to be completely re-installed on a system. This cannot be avoided. The more a machine is used, the shorter it takes until this point is reached.

Old 10-19-06, 05:12 PM
B
Thanks for the replies and good advice all. Please exuse my ignoracne but how do it tell if i am running a firewall and is the top of my desk alright for running my laptop and keeping it cool? Thanks, any advice is much apperciated

Old 11-12-06, 04:09 PM
D
tabletop

yes that should keep it cool. just pants, laps, beds anything that blocks the rubbers on the botton of the pc is a bad thing. If it does get hot buya cooler fan.

Old 11-13-06, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Go to Control Panel and double click on "Security Center". It'll tell you (likely Windows Firewall is enabled).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: