What do you think about barebone systems?!?

Old 11-13-06, 07:56 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool What do you think about barebone systems?!?

Hello everyone,
I am thinking about a new system and someone mentioned barebone systems to save some money.
I know computers well enough to be able to add any compnent I need and install OS and other types of software. So I am not worried about getting the system up and running but wanted to know about your experiences with barebone system, where to get them, what components are worth having installed and which ones to add later (of your choice), etc...

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance.

Old 11-13-06, 08:27 PM
R
Unless you enjoy this sort of task or really want to learn, I suggest that you buy a complete system configured the way you want it.

You will get a better warranty, possibly pay less, certainly do less work, and get better support.

A completely configured system will have all the right drivers installed and be ready to go.

A home-grown system will require much work on your part, and you will get very little support.

Old 11-14-06, 05:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I built mine up. All the bare bones, parts, etc you get seperatly, all have warranty. If your Dell, HP, etc break, you gotta speak to Abu in India to get anything resolved. If you buy your components seperataly, you can return product to store same day.

I saved over $1000 building my machine.

A great website for stuff like this is www.newegg.com

They are great.

Old 11-15-06, 05:52 PM
F
thank you all for your postings.
I know enough to put these pieces together and I also enjoy working with computers. So I think I am optting for a barebone.

Thanks.

Old 11-15-06, 06:19 PM
M
Kind of depends on what you want to use the computer for. If you are just looking for day to day computing (e-mails, browsing, word,..) then most any bare bone should suffice. If you are looking for a power house consider building from scratch, or buying complete.

newegg.com is an excellent page I must agree with that.

A suggestion is to pay close attention to the Mother Board the bare bones offers. Make sure you can find devices that are compatible with it. This is the most important aspect of any PC, and usually why a bare bone systems are so cheap.

Old 11-16-06, 09:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As long as you have the OS and software you need, build your own.. Shop for the MotherBoard and CPU as a combo deal, get a case you like, good RAM, and throw all your parts in it..
As stated above, Dell, HP, etc. are propriatory systems and getting an answer out of tech support can be an excercize in futility..

Old 11-16-06, 10:06 AM
Really depends on what you use the PC for

If you are an everyday user not needing anything special or heavy requirements. You are better off buying a complete system. You can blow away their image and build from scratch if you want to get away from their install packages and adware/spyware that they all put on now.

If you have certain requirements in mind and what to mix and match what components you want, build your own. I always do, but I play a lot of games and want certain hardware. This way takes longer since I have to research hardware, compatibility, quality. You have to make sure they equipment you buy will work with the other equipment you are buying. You do not have to go crazy but it is very annoying when you buy a piece of hardware and find out later it does not play well with another piece of hardware.

The pre-built systems are already tested and known to be pretty solid.

that my 2 cents

Old 11-17-06, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
I'll echo the suggestion to buy a complete system.
My latest build has been plagued with gremlins and the multi-supplier approach that I used makes warranty claims a real pain.
Of the two problems I had, I was lucky the mb/processor/ram vendor gave me no problems exchanging a bad 1 gb stick of ram.
When I had probs with the video card though the different place I bought it tested it in two different systems and could not repeat my problem. Said it was likely an incompatability problem and I believe them but they said was no warranty for incompatability?
So much for bargain hunting!
Wound up buying a better card from the first vendor and parked the first vid card on my shelf.

So, if you do build my suggestion is to try to use the same supplier.

As far as cost to build goes I found complete bargain systems with the same processor/ram that I have for almost the price I paid for the ram and processor in the box.
Only difference was bargain systems had on-board everything which I didn't want.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: