DVD Capibility

Old 11-17-06, 07:01 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DVD Capibility

I bought a Compaq Pesario back in 2000 with Windows ME O/S.It says in my manuel it has a DVD-ROM but i've never been able get the computer to recognize a DVD when i put it in one of the slots.When I look in system properties it says nothing about a DVD drive only cd.But in one of my folders it has a Windows DVD player but as soon as i open it says " to use the dvd player you need to install either a software DVD decoder or a hardware DVD decoder.So if i would download one of these decoders would it be able to play dvd discs?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-06, 07:07 PM
J
Question

usually right on the front of the drive itself it will say DVD or CD, what's it say?

Old 11-17-06, 07:46 PM
tae
yes, you need a decoder. It should say on the front of the drive dvd.

Old 11-17-06, 07:51 PM
R
Top slot says compact disc,bottom slot says compact disc recordable-rewritable.

Old 11-17-06, 08:07 PM
J
Unhappy

doesn't sound like you have a DVD drive.

Old 11-19-06, 12:01 AM
R
Yeah i didn't think i had one,, although you would never know it by reading my manuel because there is all kind of stuff in there about the DVD-ROM.I didn't know if you could make it capable by downloading something for the different media players or not but evidently you can't do it.

Old 11-19-06, 10:29 AM
J
if you don't have a DVD drive, no you cannot. If you'd like to add one it's usually relatively easy. Buy at some place like www.tigerdirect.com www.newegg.com or www.zipzoomfly.com
much better prices than trying to buy locally.

Old 11-19-06, 02:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Newegg has some nice DVD-CD-RAM recordible drives for $31 + shipping.. Just ordered one yesterday..

Old 11-19-06, 10:23 PM
R
Would any of them work with my processor and do they come with good instructions on how to install?

Old 11-19-06, 11:09 PM
J
I would advise that you get a DVDRW drive. This way you can replace one of your CDRW drives with it. A DVDRW drive will read and write CDs and DVDs. Any of them should work and they are very simple to hook up. They will probably not come with instructions, but if you are at all mechanically inclined, it should be very, very easy. If you get it and can't get it figured out, post again and we'll help ya.

Old 11-19-06, 11:27 PM
R
I will get a RW drive thanks! So i'm assuming since i have two workable drives and no open bays i will take the top cd-rom drive out and replace it with the new one and hook the cables back up the same way as the old one is that correct?

Old 11-20-06, 12:30 AM
R
Boy you guys were right,,i checked some prices at local retailors and they're alot more expensive not even close.Glad i got a tip on here you saved me alot of money.

Old 11-20-06, 04:59 AM
R
If your computer dates from 2000 and has MyEnemy as the operating system, you don't need a DVD drive, you need a new machine.

I recommend a new PC be your goal.

If you absolutely cannot afford a new PC now, then work towards that goal, and if you think you just have to have a DVD drive now then buy an inexpensive DVD ROM drive (read only). Your PC cannot support writing DVDs, at least with any great success.

Old 11-20-06, 07:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is the one I bought.. Good Brand name and great price..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152075

The problem you may run into is not enough RAM memory in the machine.. It takes quite a bit to burn a DVD successfully.. At least 512 meg..
Windows ME was the worst OS Microsoft released.. You can find Win2000 for cheap, and XP will also be on sale when Vista is released.. A ME machine should run 2000 with no problems.. The only hitch you may run into is getting the drivers for the motherboard..

Old 11-30-06, 10:28 PM
R
Got my DVD Drive installed seems to work good,now if only i could get those darned ESPN streaming videos to work i'll be set.They download a little bit then quit,not too computer savvy but have a feeling its the memory thing holding me back.In the system requirements they state you need 256 mb and i'm pretty sure i only have 64.If i would install a different operating system would that solve my problem or have to hook up some kind of motherboard.

Old 11-30-06, 11:08 PM
Wink

Check and see if you have a slot for more memory and put more in.