Computer Shutdown/Thermal event?

Old 11-22-06, 03:51 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer Shutdown/Thermal event?

I've got a Dell D 4600. 2.5 y/o. that goes through phases of inexplicably shutting down. Upon restarting I am being informed that it was due to a thermal event. However, no record of that can be found in event viewer.

This happened about a month ago and a Dell tech went through a whole rigmarole concluding with a system restore which seemed to remedy the problem. So it was concluded that it was not a overheating/fan problem but a software glitch.

It started happening again yesterday (maybe incidentally) a couple of days after I downloaded windows update and started playing around with IE 7 instead of my usual FF - as well as downloading and using Rhapsody.

I called Dell and now they want to send a tech to replace my processor fan. Fine. But I am not certain this is the issue. The fan does alternately rev like a rusty attic fan and fall totally silent at other times - but I am not sure if this is normal or not.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-06, 04:27 AM
First thing I would do is take the side cover off and make sure the heat sink and other fans are not clogged with dust. Then run the PC with the cover off and observe the fan to see if it's working properly.

Old 11-22-06, 05:14 AM
E
Red face

Originally Posted by Davejb
First thing I would do is take the side cover off and make sure the heat sink and other fans are not clogged with dust. Then run the PC with the cover off and observe the fan to see if it's working properly.
You know it seems to go this way in these matters... I have a problem and I need to post a problem to come up with the obvious remedy on my own.

After I posted this and before I read your response the little light bulb in my head flickered and I said 'gee, when's the last time you opened the hood ... further, when's the last time you took a vacuum wand to it?'

Of course, the inside facing fan vent was clogged about and inch thick!

That's my process I suppose. Thanks Davejb!

I'm thinking problem solved, huh?

Old 11-22-06, 08:47 AM
Been there myself once or twice, hopefully your problem is solved.