Any way to do it?

Old 11-22-06, 07:18 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any way to do it?

Got my wife a new computer and want to transfer a "bunch" of files from my I-tunes folder to her (over 1000 songs) that she puts into the two ipods she uses. Tried to get one of those devices that connect into the USB port that is a "portable" memory but for some reason i don't have an updated version that supported the new "thing".

We're both on Windows XP and have a router connected to cable modem connection to the internet.

Any way to do a bulk transfer computer to computer?

They are in separate locations and both are desktops.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-06, 09:08 PM
C
If you have a network connection from one machine to the other, you can just drag and drop the folder with the files to the other computer. You will have to add each to the other's network places, enable file sharing at least long enough to do this.

Old 11-22-06, 11:48 PM
T
Originally Posted by hopro
Got my wife a new computer and want to transfer a "bunch" of files from my I-tunes folder to her (over 1000 songs) that she puts into the two ipods she uses. Tried to get one of those devices that connect into the USB port that is a "portable" memory but for some reason i don't have an updated version that supported the new "thing".

We're both on Windows XP and have a router connected to cable modem connection to the internet.

Any way to do a bulk transfer computer to computer?

They are in separate locations and both are desktops.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for any help.
yes you can set up an FTP or you could run an update with the hardware you bought..go to their website

Old 11-23-06, 05:08 AM
J
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
Windows XP should recoganize a flash as soon as you plug it in. What wasn't it recongizing?

Old 11-23-06, 04:52 PM
H
Joed,

Thanks to all and you for the response.

The "flash" was recognized as a new USB port by the computer but the instructions with the flash said to click on UB3(?) or something to get it working (it was branded Geek Squad from Best Buy).

Didn't have it, although searched help facility. I seem to recall that it was part of XP Service Pack 4..... I have 2.

In a pique of frustration, chucked it near the septic tank.

Again, thanks for the help

Old 11-23-06, 05:16 PM
J
the network option seems like the easiest way to go to me. Alternatively, you could temporarily remove the hard drive from the old computer, put it in the new one as a slave, transfer the files over, then put it back in the old one. I've done this lots of times.

Old 11-23-06, 05:21 PM
R
Your computer recognized the flash drive. You do not need any drivers for it. There is no such thing as Service Pack 4 for Windows XP.

The fastest way to transfer files is to use the network. However, that may not be easy to setup if you aren't familiar with networks and file sharing. The second easiest way would be to sue the flash drive.

Old 11-25-06, 04:58 AM
Y
all flash drives should work with windows Xp without installing anything. Just plug it in, open my computer and you should see a new Drive. The easiest way would be to use the Flash Drive, because setting up filesharing for windows XP is a pain, especially if you don't use passwords for your computers/user account. And if you share through wireless networking, it's slow a hell.

The fastest would be using an external harddrive or if you have a CD/DVD Burner just burn the files to a disk and copy over.

Old 11-26-06, 06:02 AM
C
Yuo can also use the iPod as a portable drive. if it is a recent HDD based one. 1000 songs is not much, really.