CD/DVD drive quit, then replaced; still nothing

Old 11-25-06, 06:32 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CD/DVD drive quit, then replaced; still nothing

Hi folks.
I have an HP Pavillion a600n with XP Home. The system is less than 3 y/o. Other than searching the net, all I use the system for is burning music CDs and some simple desktop publishing for work.
Yesterday my CD drive failed or so I thought. It wouldn't recognize either a data cd or music cd. I could not hear the disc spinng at all, so I assumed my drive had quit.
This morning I go to Circuit City and purchase a NEXXTECH 16X
DVD/R-RW Double Layer Drive. Of course I'm still having the same problem, although I can feel a very small amout of vibration when the drive software is put in. No matter where I put the jumper I still get the same results.
Any idea what I'm overlooking here?
Btw, I'm a 52 y/o techno-doofus so be easy on me, OK?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-06, 07:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do any lights on the front of the new cd drive come on? If not, then you most likely have a power supply problem. The power supply feeds each component of your computer different voltages, etc. These are relatively easy to replace if this is the case. If you do however, have lights, then it's a software issue.

To see if windows even recognizes a drive do the following:

Click on your START button

Click CONTROL PANEL

Click the SYSTEM icon

Then click the HARDWARE tab

The click DEVICE MANAGER

You will then see a series of compenents.

Scroll down till you see DCD/CD Rom drives

CLick that + sign.

If the computer recognizes the drive, you will see the driver info there. If not, then nothing will be there, or there will be a yellow ? next to it. Do this and report back. Good luck!

Old 11-25-06, 07:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
After re reading your post, it seems you do have power, just that the cd's are not being recognized.

I had this issue with mine. Make sure you are using the correct disks. I was using R+RW cd when my drive will only take R-RW disks. The only difference in these disks are the manufacturers and proprietary crap.

Old 11-25-06, 09:08 PM
Hi:
I have three different HPs, from older model to brand new ones one of which I purchased this early Summer.

I have an issue with floppy disk with older HP, but not CD drive. This issue doesn't occur often, but once awhile when I forgot using it, because of my dependency on CD drive.

When the problem is difficult to resolve on MS or this board, I often go to 'HP Live Chat' that have helped me many times. In my case, I had a ton of problems with two brand new printers, but all of issues were solved thanks to courteous, friendly and knowlegeable on-line technicians. It's completely FREE, unlike over the phone to ask.

Then, I suggest you try the HP Help site, because the issue about which you're describing sounds tricky.

The site is as follow;
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

Normally, there is no wait, but sometime during day, you may need to wait few minutes to get on 'Live Chat.'

Old 11-26-06, 03:52 AM
M
CD/DVD Drive

Did you set the drive select jumper the same as the drive you removed (ie master, slave)?

Also in device manager make sure it doesn't still show the old drive in the installed hardware. I have seen that happen a time or two. If so remove the old one. And as mentioned above your new drive should show up.

Also there are problems at times with the I/O speed. Many systems try to run the drive at too high a speed and if you do not have the special IDE cable with twice the number of wires, the drive will simply not work. In that case you have to back the speed down a notch.

If you have no luck I will give you the procedure to reduce I/O speed.

Old 11-26-06, 07:53 AM
I
Thanks everyone, but still no success.
Mark, I followed your instructions and found that there isn't a box to check next to the cd/dvd listing. What's there is a bright yellow oval with an exclamation mark in it.
Also, the device manager told me this:
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device (Code 41).
Thanks again for everyones' input and suggestions.
Jim

Old 11-26-06, 08:51 AM
I
I finally figured it out. I googled code 41 and came up with this. (Link below) It took all of two minutes to fix the problem.
Again, I SINCERELY thank everyone for their tips and suggestions. SALUTE!
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q320553

Old 11-26-06, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Good job. Amazing sometimes what help you can find at Microsoft.