Changing to RR, how to get new mails from old dialup?

Old 11-29-06, 06:57 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing to RR, how to get new mails from old dialup?

Hello,
Finally dumping dialup and going with Road Runner, with 5 different emails for my family, how will I get the old emails that everyone would be sending it to, to send to the new RR email addys for everyone?
There is no way we could email everyone in all the addy books to let them know we changed. Is there a way to have all emails sent to new RR addys please?
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-06, 07:10 PM
R
That depends on who provides the email service. If it is from an ISP you are paying for then keep that service for a month or two. Set up auto-forwarding and/or auto-reply. Let the reply message tell the senders your new email address.

Old 11-30-06, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the world of broadband.. You're gonna love it..
Your situation is the major reason I always suggest using an e-mail addy from someplace such as Yahoo, or any of the free e-mail services.. That way, you never have to change it..
Like racraft said, auto-forwarding is one way, although if someone doesn't e-mail you for a couple months, they'll never know about the change..
The other way is doing it manually.. Just send an e-mail to yourself as the main recipient, and to EVERYBODY else in your address book as a BCC (blind carbon copy) message..
After doing that, you'll have to go to every website where your old e-mail is registered, and update the info.. Another reason to get a free e-mail addy..

Old 11-30-06, 05:01 AM
Of course there's always the possibility that as soon as you cancel your dialup account, those old addresses will be purged and no longer available, anyone trying to send mail to them will get it bounced back, so as racraft said, keep the service for a month or 2.

Old 11-30-06, 06:52 AM
Hi:
Upon having changed, I, too worried about the issue about which you're metioning, above.

In my knowledge, most of Dial-up services are nice enough to keep you connected even after you cancelled, until you telephoned them wanting to cancel. However, I did not delete every identities, four in all created by old Dial-up. Because, a deletion of identities wiped out all e-mails accumulated by Dial-up. As a matter of fact, there are still a bunch of old e-mails because of this. It's quite handy when I need to look at old e-mails accumulated by DialUp. There are altogether 7(severn) I.D.s in the box of the 'Switch Identity' created by both Dial-up and Comcast, although those old e-mails/dial-up just sitting there.

At the beginning of a change, I used to use both Dial-up and Comcast, whenenver I needed. But, you need to call your I.P. for precaution. Also, I mentioned about a change of my IP to everyone whenever I e-mailed by using a brand new I.D. Because, most of folks do not pay attention to your new IP unless you say about it.

Old 12-03-06, 08:17 AM
H
Thank you all for your help. Well Appreciated.

Old 12-04-06, 03:19 PM
H
Someone at work told me there is software somewhere out there you can buy that will re direct all your old emails to your new email addys.
Anyone by chance know the name. He did not remember the name.
Thank you!

Old 12-16-06, 08:12 AM
R
Received 27 Votes on 23 Posts
I used

A program called True Switch, alot of ISP's offer it for use when you change service. It costs nothing and works well.

Old 12-16-06, 08:21 AM
R
I just googled trueswitch, and am not impressed.

True switch is NOT free. Perhaps some new ISPs will pay for it, but it is not free.

It does all of the steps that have been spelled out above, but offers little control. For example, I see no way to select which users to send an email to about your new address, it sends the email to everyone in your address book.

Note also that you still must keep your old account open for some period of time, so that you can get to emails sent there. Then you must manually7 close that old account.

Worth the $20 fee? Perhaps for some, but certainly not for everyone.