New wifi router causing grief

Old 11-30-06, 09:19 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New wifi router causing grief

I upgraded my home wifi system from a 2 computer 11b network to a 3 computer 11g network. New router, new USB adapters.

New computer connects to router without a problem. I then log into the router config page and activated the encryption to WPA TKIP (the old system was WEP) and gave it the same SSID as my old router. Everything worked without a problem.

I then fired up my 2 old computers (1desktop, 1 laptop), installed the drivers and pluged in the wifi adapter. Both computers detected my router. I then supply the passphrase and try to connect...

The laptop is able to connect but the link is dropped every few minutes. It then reconnects after a few seconds. The cycle continues.

The desktop is able to connect but only for a second and then it is dropped. Again it cycles from connected to disconnected continously.

I had replaced the wifi adapter for the Desktop and achieved the same result. The distance of the clients from the router is just a few feet, separated by a wall or floor.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Is there a setting in my new router that does not allow multiple connections? Is it possible using the same SSID name as my old router is causing confusion to the 2 computers?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-06, 09:29 AM
All network adapters must support WPA TKIP as well as the drivers used. From the sounds of it, your older computers network cards do not support this.

I believe you either have to get network cards that support TKIP or do not use it as your protocol

Old 11-30-06, 11:43 AM
C
There is some keep-alive setting for network connections in Windows that may need attention.