windows xp issues

Old 11-30-06, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy windows xp issues

well, i think i really deleted something i should not have. i was trying to clean up some programs on my computer to get it starting up faster, well, now it is not seeing my printer(don't remember deleting that) when i tried to reinstall it it says "print spooler service not running"!!??, i tried to reload some of my discs to see if i can get all back to normal but i get "windows cannot open HELP & SUPPORT because system service is not running", and another one i get is "windows may be running in a safe mode", how the heck can i tell if it is running in a safe mode? please help with any info anyone may have, i have tried reinstalling the xp, but it says it has a newer version installed.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-06, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok, try this.

Go to START

RUN

type in msconfig in the box

click on SERVICES tab

make sure everything is checked.

Reboot

You will be able to see if you are in safe mode, because you will be limited on colors, and it will say SAFE MODE across the top most likely.

Old 11-30-06, 07:28 PM
windows xp

i tried that, everything was checked, but in the status column, some are stopped, is that normal? also it apparently is not in safe mode. thank you, anymore suggestions??

Old 11-30-06, 07:39 PM
It will be normal for some to be stopped. Have you tried the XP GoBack feature to take your computer back to a different date?

Old 11-30-06, 07:42 PM
To do this, go to the same place as before, RUN - msconfig

on that first tab, you will see Perform System Restore or something along those lines. Click that. It will bring up a window where you can choose a date that the computer was running fine. It will take some time to complete this.

Old 12-01-06, 08:17 AM
C
Another maintenance suggestion is to run system file checker. In the installing and uninstalling of programs and such, some required files may become corrupted. Not your fault, it just happens.

With your operating system installation disk handy.

Click Start, Run.

Enter cmd press enter.

When the terminal window opens, type SFC/ SCANNOW

Note that there is a space between SFC/ and SCANNOW

This procedure will check many required files to ensure that they are intact. If needed, the system disk will be requested in a dialogue window. Insert it, click Retry. This process may take 20 minutes or so. Any of these files that have become corrupted will be restored.

After it is over, remove the system disk. Reboot your computer.

Hope this helps.