most efficient way of backing up

Old 12-02-06, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
most efficient way of backing up

What would you use inorder to backup your computer information. I would like something fast easy and able to hold a good amount of information. Is a pushbutton backup like this http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=12491&sk=MC51419 a good idea or perhaps you guys have a better idea to do it thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-06, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's either something like that, or use DVDs or CDs to just backup your important files.. Although, with my important files approaching 80gb, for the price, that 300gb drive looks pretty good..

Old 12-02-06, 02:25 PM
It depends what info you are wanting to back up. Are you just wanting to backup music, documents, etc? If so, just get a flash drive or external harddrive. I find it pointless to back up the entire computer since I can just load Windows, etc from the system CD.

Old 12-02-06, 02:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
What will work best depends on how much you need to back up. I think most people would get by just fine with a flash drive.

Old 12-02-06, 02:57 PM
With just my pictures (37gb), many of which are scanned photos from before digital cameras, it sure would cost me a ton of money to back those up with flash drives.. Those are most usable when transporting files from one place to another without lugging a laptop around..
Even using DVDs or CDs can be a pain, but I have done that.. A single, transportable hard drive can come in awful handy..

Old 12-03-06, 10:47 AM
C
For mass backup, a USB HDD is good, and with cheap HDDs these days, economical.

Old 12-03-06, 11:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Most people won't have 40-80 gb they need to back up. For those who do, yes, flash drives would not be the answer.

Old 12-03-06, 01:55 PM
A disk imaging tool and an external drive can be fairly cheap. I use and recommend Acronis True image software. Very easy to use and can do a full backup of your drive from within Windows, no reboots or boot disks required to do a backup, although one obviously is required to do a restor of an image on a non booting system. It can also place backups in a protected hidden partition and is accessable via the F11 key after POST (similare to an HP recovery setup).
I designed my system for reliable backup. The OS and all apps are installed on the system drive (120GB SATA), Documents, photos, and all data are stored on a pair of 250GB SATA drives in a mirror array, this raid set also is used to hold the Acronis backup images.

Old 12-05-06, 12:46 PM
My hard drive does have a good amount of extra space.

Would it be acceptable or considered a backup if I were to just partition my hard drive and then keep all important info on both drives. Would this protect me well from a meltdown etc.? Thanks

Old 12-05-06, 01:20 PM
C
It depends how much you value your data. If you value it at all, you should back it up off yor computer, and better yet, keep a copy off site.

Old 12-05-06, 01:32 PM
That would not be worth the effort, if the hard drive fails you would loose your backups along with your data.
Most imaging software will not allow you to make a backup image to the same drive it's backing up anyway, even if it is on a seperate partition.
If your going to make the effort to do a backup, you need to do it so the backup will be available when your drive fails, otherwise your just wasting time.

Old 12-06-06, 05:25 AM
What are your needs

Hey 951Michael,

I started to write a pretty big post, but think I answered some of my own questions thinking about things to ask you. If you need a quick & easy way to backup data. An external drive like you linked to would be a good idea for you. I have not dealt much with those push button systems, so I do not know how relieable they are, they could be amazing, they could suck, I am saying I just do not know.

it seems like your basic goal here is quick and painless, the external solution would work for you. If you go this route I have two suggestions for you.

1) make sure you have access to another PC somewhere in case yours completely blows up. If you need access to your data and your PC blows up, an external drive does not help you without a PC to access the data. This can be at a friends or relatives house. Just a similar PC same Operating system and what not.

2) I would suggest you start doing some sort of file revisions when saving data now. Meaning if you create a document today name it mydocument. Each time you work on it, do a save as and save it as mydocument1. Go up one number each time you change something or use the date in the file name. This way you can always go back and check changes. If you use the pushbutton it will overwrite everything each time you backup. So this way you can have files to look back on. Nothing worse then making a change to a document, saving it, backing it up and then realize you erased something you should not have.

And DO NOT use a partition as a backup.

Old 12-06-06, 07:01 PM
Several years ago I had your same questions. I ended up buying a 100 GB Maxtor hard drive that is connected directly to my PC. I think I paid about $100. It came with some software I used to instruct it what to backup (the files in My Documents) and when to backup (I set it to weekly).

I've only had one problem with it, which I was able to fix quickly by downloading their latest software upgrade.

One thing I like about it is I don't have to do anything. I set it, and forgot it. Fortunately, I've only had to restore one file off it since I bought it; but, that was easy to do.