blocking a website

Old 12-02-06, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
blocking a website

can anyone tell me how to block a particular website on a computer, i.e. myspace.com?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-06, 06:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this for Parental control? If so, there are many programs to do this. Do you have a firewall? I believe you can block it through that as well. You can block websites through IE by going to Tools, then Internet Options, then CONTENT tab, Content Advisor enable, click the Approved Sites tab, then enter the MySpace address then hit NEVER.

Old 12-02-06, 06:48 PM
Also, children are smart. After seeing they can't get into MySpace through IE (Internet Explorer) they may try and downloan another browser like FireFox so they can view MySpace through that. Just keep an eye out for that.

Old 12-02-06, 07:59 PM
website blocker

thanks alot for the info, we just can't get 3 teenage girls to understand the danger of this site. short of taking away all computer privileges, this is our next step. thanks again.

Old 12-02-06, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Also, children are smart. After seeing they can't get into MySpace through IE (Internet Explorer) they may try and downloan another browser like FireFox so they can view MySpace through that. Just keep an eye out for that.
i tried to block this through my firewall, but it says "windows cannot start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing service (ICS)." how do i fix this??

Old 12-03-06, 12:19 AM
Y
if the computers are running off a router, then you can most likely block the URL through the router. it can probably still be bypassed, but will take some ingenuity, and a lot of hassle.

Old 12-03-06, 08:02 AM
Block it through Internet Explorer. You can password protect it and everything. Read my previous post on how to do this. Just look out for the additional browsers which will be easy to spot.

Old 12-03-06, 08:55 AM
Hi:
I have NO teenage kids, but most of those 'young folks' are smart enough to get the site they want, either from friend's computer or any other means. Blocking might be 'back-fire,' if they have a determination to get into that site.

'Tough Love,' 'Study hard' both are not for every teenagers, particularly for those who love the computers right after getting back to home from school.

I truly understand your concern, but try to get a good communication between you, a parent and your teeage-daughters.

Old 12-03-06, 09:03 AM
If all else failed, and it was my house, I-net access would be denied unless I was sitting there watching.. Kids have to realize that you mean business..
Locking up the keyboard and mouse works great..

Old 12-03-06, 10:37 AM
tae
look here for steps using internet explorer:
http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=1509

Here is how to use the hosts file.
Another way to block particular sites is via Windows' HOSTS file. The file maps Web addresses to specific IP numbers. In Windows XP, the HOSTS file is in the following location:
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Windows will prompt you for a program to open the HOSTS file. Choose Notepad. You can add Web addresses to the file. To block an address, enter it along with the IP number "127.0.0.1." Attempts to go to the site will reach the false IP number and fail.

As an example, add the following line to block MySpace:
127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com

The HOSTS file generally works with Internet Explorer and Firefox. However, your browser may ignore the file if you're connecting through a router.

If you use a router, you may have another option. Most routers can be set to block specific Web addresses.
Others can even block sites based on keywords. But the names of these features vary by router manufacturer.

Site blocking could be in categories like parental control, blocked sites or Internet access policy. Look for it in your router's manual or configuration menu.

Most firewall programs also can block sites. Examples include Agnitum's Outpost, Jetico's Personal Firewall and Zonelabs' ZoneAlarm. Each can be had in a basic free version.

Old 12-03-06, 11:19 AM
tae
As to your firewall issue:
Reset the Winsock.
--a) Go to the command prompt.
--b) Type the command "Netsh winsock reset" (without the quotes), and press <enter>.
--c) This won’t take effect until after you re-boot.

Make sure the ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) service is set to start automatically.
--a) Go to the Control Panel.
--b) Double-click “Administrative Tools”.
--c) Double-click “Services”.
--d) Scroll to the bottom of the list; double-click “Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)”
--e) Make sure the Startup type is set to Automatic.
--f) Click Apply, if needed.
--g) Click OK.

reboot

Old 12-16-06, 09:34 AM
A
Proxies

All of the above mentioned ideas will work, the simple one is to block it in the browser. I do not know how savy your children are, but there are always ways around everything in the computer world.

Something that you do not have a lot of control over is that kids talk to each other in school. Its only a matter of time before they find out about proxies and then all of those blocked sites are available to them again. You can try to block all the proxies you can find but thats a lot of work, and new ones pop up all the time.

Are your kids aware of the History function in a browser? Do they know that all the sites they visit are logged and you will be able to tell if they visit someplace that you prohibit? The trouble there is if they are aware of the history, then they are probably aware of how to erase it as well.

Old 12-17-06, 05:41 PM
B
Seriously, blocking it just isn't the way to go about it. Sit and talk with them, express your concerns. Blocking they will just access it a new way and this time they will have spite and disregard anyhting you told them, in fact they may be so mad they will do just the opposite you tell them .

Old 12-17-06, 05:49 PM
O
On the home page scroll to the bottom and click on privacy and scroll down til u see blocking, that should do it....

Old 12-18-06, 06:48 PM
we have talked and talked to these girls until we are blue in the face...our trouble is the oldest, 16, 16 year olds know everything and think nothing is going to happen to them, well to no avail we were worried about someone contacting her. unfortunatley it was her who did the contacting. we caught it and confronted her about it. i have since blocked the site. so far so good. but like others have said it is only a matter of time until she finds another way. we are keeping our eyes open. next move will be no computer.

Old 12-18-06, 07:19 PM
Well, at least you are concerned. A lot of parents these days don't seem to care what their kids do online. They make A LOT of parental control programs which teens will find most difficult to work around. You cannot put a price on your kids safety, so it might be well worth it.

Old 12-18-06, 08:24 PM
Aside from this site, .... 'blocking computer,' you may get a benefit from participating 'parenting' by clicking above, Lifestyle < Parenting.

Also, there might have other informative sites for concerned parent who is dealing with this form of issue.