computer has disk read error

Old 12-03-06, 05:02 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
computer has disk read error

I am experiencing a problem with a computer owned by my son when doing a normal start up the computer comes up with a "disk error can't read Press control Alt delete" this continuely happens. My first thought was to check the cable to the hard drive and replace it which didn't have any effect. I have checked the bios of the computer against the factory settings in the book that came with it and it matches exactly. My second thought was a bad mbr and thus I tried to use the XP Home disk and get into the repair area to use fixmbr unfortunately this does not work as the XP setup starts runs for a short time then comes up with an error stating Windows detected problem with hardware and will shut down please remove new hardware and try again...... so as a result I can't seem to get anywhere in the system to try any repair. To be sure the hardrive was OK and not causing the problem I took it and ran it successfully in my computer and tried to use my computers hard drive in the other computer everything works fine in mine nothing works in the other. What I really could use is some suggestions, I know I have missed something in ths but now I am too close to the subject to see anything except what I have already done. For clarrification the hard drive is a 150gig Maxtor the computer is a 2gig (Computer one year old drive replaced in September) Any ideas PLEASE? And thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by gard; 12-03-06 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-06, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try unplugging the power cord and let the machine sit for a half hour, then try it again.. You've done everything I would have done..

The factory settings in the book may just be generic.. Many BIOSs have a keypress that detects all drives, such as F3.. Look for that and try it..

Old 12-03-06, 05:27 PM
G
thanks I tried unplugging and too even pulled the battery for twenty minutes to see if that would make a difference. The f3 key does not seem to have an effect. This one really has me stumped.

Old 12-03-06, 06:29 PM
It could be something besides the F3 key..
Sounds like something on the motherboard is toast..

Old 12-03-06, 06:40 PM
Can you boot up into SafeMode?

Restart your computer. Immediately after the screen goes blank for the first time, press the F8 key repeatedly. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears. If the menu does not appear, restart your computer and try again. Use the cursor keys on your keyboard (your mouse will not work) to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER. Windows XP attempts to start.

Old 12-03-06, 07:02 PM
B
I just got done diagnosing and dealing with a computer that would not boot, load Safe mode or have any available function with the Windows disc. It just kept on crashing with a blue screen error message and Stop error usually ending in 04. At first I thought well, it's hardware and it must be the hard drive

Nope! We removed the two sticks of RAM memory and replaced them by plugging them into alternate sockets. Guess what? The computer would not boot. Tha told me something very important. The RAM stick in the primary memory socket had to ebe bad. Out it came transferringthe remaining stick into the primary socket for the RAM. The computer was fixed and has now been running for 24 hours straight w/o a crash.

Good luck

bs5

Old 12-04-06, 11:04 AM
Glad to see you found the problem. Get yourself some good quality ram and not some cheap crap.

Old 12-04-06, 12:53 PM
G
Thanks for the thought I didn't think of the Ram as for starting in safe mode that does not seem to be an option. I will try to move the ram around when I get home from work.

Old 12-04-06, 05:37 PM
C
Let me recap. Drive a in computer a generates an error. Drive a moved to computer b works fine. Drive b from comuter b works fine in computer a. Have you tried putting drive a back into computer a to see if it works now? It may be that unplugging the connectors, then plugging them may have wiped off something that interfered with the connections.

Old 12-04-06, 08:37 PM
G
Yes I tried to swap the drives and it didn't work but I now do believe this was the forrunner of some type of hardware problem. As the computer will not start at all now the only thing that happens is the fans start no lights no signal to the monitor nothing. I tried it tonight the computer started once came up with a blue screen saying windows was shutting down due to some type of malfunction and that was the end of it nothing worked after.

Old 12-05-06, 04:01 AM
B
Well, at least you still have the hard drive for obtaining any needed files. I take it you swapped the sticks of ram. if you have two sticks,you should pull one and try the remaining in the primary slot. Give each stick a solo flight.

if nothing happens it's likely the power supply. You should at least be able to boot that thing to BIOS if power supply box was any good. Bad Power supplys can cause all sorts of crazy symptoms.

bs5

Old 12-05-06, 07:27 PM
C
Take a good look at the capacitors on the motherboard. Notice any of them bulging on top? Any leaking?

I think it's more likely a bad motherboard than power supply. The progressively worse problem sounds a motherboard with failing caps to me. I may be way off though.

Old 12-07-06, 06:55 PM
G
I have tried all I can and I can't see any visable problems so I am of the opinion I may have a bad board seems nothign else is possible at this point. Thanks to all for all your assistance.