Unable to do 'Printer-Sharing' due to 'No' Peer-to-Peer Networking

Old 12-06-06, 01:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unable to do 'Printer-Sharing' due to 'No' Peer-to-Peer Networking

Hi:
There is NO 'Peer-to-Peer' Networkig connection beteen three PCs, one notebook and two PCs.

Since last week when I purchased the Notebook I've been trying to make 'Printer Sharing,' between one PC and Notebook. Afterwards, my friend told me that there is no communication between the two. Simply, there is NO 'peer-to-peer' Networking.

Wonder how did it happen?
My ISP is Comcast and hooked up 'Gateway' and 'Linskey' on the back of each computer, except the Notebook that has already 'wireless' capacity.

My question is;
Do I need a good knowledge for performing 'peer-to-peer' which needs 'configuration?'

According to my friend at work told me that ONLY a tech. guy is able to do this. If that's the case, what should I need for 'Printer-Sharing,' except going to BestBuy guy for Printer-Sharing?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-06, 02:07 PM
C
I don't know what Comcast Gateway and Linskey are, but to network these computers, the simplest way would be to connect them all to a router via ethernet. Thence connect the router to your Comcast modem device. Most broadband connections are simple to make. The information that comes with most new routers should be able to walk you through the process along with the Windows XP networking wizard.

Once the computers are networked, sharing a printer is a simple matter.

Old 12-06-06, 02:10 PM
R
You need to start at the beginning.

What are you using for a router? How are all your computers configured to get on the Internet? Can you use them all on the Internet at the same time.

I do not know what "'Linskey" is. I do know what Linksys is, but don;t know if that is what you mean.

I do not know what "Gateway" is. I am familiar with Gateway computers, but don't know if that's what you mean.

Networks are easy to setup.

Making them secure is not always easy, but is absolutely necessary, especially if wireless is involved.

Making computers communicate to share files and printers is sometimes tricky, depending on the operating system.

Your friend at work does not know what he or she is talking about. Many people setup home networks who know absolutely nothing about networks. Some of them even manage to make them secure. The directions that come with routers are actually very good.

Old 12-07-06, 12:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Comcast = Internet provider
Gateway = Connection to said Internet
Linksys = Brand of Router and network cards

If the printer is connected to a desktop computer;
1. That computer must be turned on in order for any other computer to use it
2. The printer has to have "Sharing" setup
3. Other computer needs to have that network printer installed

You need to tell us more about your system before we can help..

Old 12-08-06, 12:27 PM
S
Hi:
Thanks for the responses.

I contacted the HP that made both my computer and notebook. They advised me to call my ISP, Comcast as explaining that first off, I need 'Home networking/Peer-to-Peer Networking' in order to establish 'Printer and File Sharing.'

This morning, I talked to Comcast on this issue with which I have been dealing for the past weeks. They told me that they would send a technician without any charge, 'Free.' Because, I have already a Comcast client. But, I can afford some, like around $50.00 if they charge me.

I am SO glad to receive a good call from the Comcast today.

If any of you have same issue, 'Printer Sharing..' please post on this board after Monday when the Comcast Tech.'s visit to my house.