XP problems

Old 12-08-06, 05:10 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
XP problems

Hello and thank you in advance for your time-
I am running XP and have encountered two problems-

1. Sometimes when I start my 'puter the systems "hangs" on startup. By this I mean that the backgound picture comes up, but no icons or taskbar appear. When I hit Ctrl, Alt, Del, a box comes up saying "ending program explorer.exe". I have the newest version of explorer. On subsequent restart all works OK except, it takes a looooong time for the taskbar items to load. I have an Acer travelmate 4400, which has plenty of computing power.

2. My background "picture" is not what I originally loaded into my machine. I tried going back to an earlier time to reset my computer but it doesn't work.

I have all the latest spyware, and virus software and it is up to date. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Ray

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-06, 06:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The "Explorer" it is referring to is not Internet Explorer, but is Windows Explorer..
That is the program that is your folder viewer, etc..
Sounds like there may be some major file corruption going on.. You may have to do a repair installation to fix it..

Old 12-08-06, 07:14 AM
M
XP Problems

Try booting into safe mode and see what happens and let us know.

Old 12-08-06, 12:14 PM
B
I'll bet you are running a bunch of unnecessary programs at startup. Go to Start button > Run > type MSconfig > Go to Start up tab. How many programs are checked as being required to start and compete with Explorer at start up? Uncheck unnecessary proograms but know what you are unchecking as some programs have to run.........like explorer.

bs5

Old 12-08-06, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Even better yet, goto Start-programs-startup and right click-delete whatever you don't want running.. Usually, you can delete everything there.. It won't delete programs, but instead it won't start them up automatically..