2 networks on 1 PC

Old 12-09-06, 02:28 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 networks on 1 PC

I'm setting up an internet connection at my home which is provided by my employer. There will be 2 seperate networks available through 1 incoming connection. I will have 2 IP addresses. 1 of them gives me internet, the other gives me internal company access only. My house is prewired with cat5 but the only way I know how to connect to both networks at the same time is by having 2 nic cards in each computer which would mean running a 2nd line to each room.

Is there an easy way to do this using only 1 cat 5 cable to each computer so I dont have to run more cables?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-06, 06:01 AM
no need for two NICS

either go in and change the ip address to whatever network you want

or

depending on os set up different network connections and click access what you need

what OS are you using

Old 12-09-06, 06:03 AM
R
Can you describe the setup a little better. What is your personal network, and how is it connected to the Internet? How are you connected to your employer?

Each network interface in your computer needs it's own IP address. Sometimes a network interface is a physical interface, such as a NIC card. Sometimes it is a software interface, such as a VPN package.

Depending on how you are setup, it MAY be possible to use a single network interface card, even if both networks have Ethernet connections. It might be necessary to use an external router.

Old 12-09-06, 08:46 AM
Hi:
One of my family members has 2 IPs, one for Comcast/wireless that is set-up at home, needs to pay for, and other for employer's IP that is 'free.'

In his case, his employer already set-up for his use at home. Only he needs to do is type 'www.....(his employer provided)' at address bar and comes up his employer's web-site right away.

One thing what you need to do is setting-up your own IP, first, about whicht you're asking the question, above. Otherwise, your employer's IP does not work on your computer.

Probably, you may need ask your employer on this regard, or your own IP first.

In my knowledge, there are some, if not many employeres providing their IPs for the sake of its employees' convenience. In his case, he's able to access not only from home but also any places away from home when he needs the informations, such as 'pay-period,' 'how many days he has annual-leaves,' ... and literally every informations he's able to look at through it. It's quite convenient, according to his experience.

Old 12-09-06, 11:31 AM
R
PineCone,

You are describing a setup where by the IP address is that of a remote computer and the user uses a web browser to remotely access a server.

The poster is questions accessing a remote network, which is something entirely different.

Old 12-09-06, 12:47 PM
Hi:
Yes, I read that.

However, in my knowledge from reading/hearing, only way to access Employers' IP or web-site is, first off set-up your personal IP.

Sorry, if this is a different issue tho'.

Old 12-13-06, 06:14 PM
J
Let me clarify. We are using motorola canopy wireless equipment. So we get 1 IP address to access the other canopy modules on the network. Then we get another IP address which gives us internet access. I'd like to be on both networks at the same time so I don't have to manually change my settings. I figured out that in windows XP there is a way to set this up in the tcp/ip settings under advanced but this will only work if I don't use a router. I'd like to be able to use a router for the added protection but I don't see anyway of doing this.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 12-14-06, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You should check with the IT manager about this.. It may be a forbidden use..
If someone was to hack into your system from the I-net, they could possibly get into the company system through your computer..
You would be better off having 2 computers set up..