little 7 under msie

Old 12-11-06, 07:40 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
little 7 under msie

I just noticed I have a small number 7 under the blue desktop icon and the one when you click > start. It just appeared. I am running msie 6 which I verified by observation and >help> about.
How do I get rid of it? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-06, 09:15 AM
P
little 7 msie

I fixed it by typing internet explorer in the box>logo>Properties>general. Now how do I get rid of the arrow indicating shortcut? Pete

Old 12-11-06, 09:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dont you just love Microsoft?

Old 12-11-06, 10:30 AM
P
seven

Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
Dont you just love Microsoft?
I notice you too are retired-time is great but $ is ??? as time goes by. I've been in the pasture 13 years.
Microsoft, now that like talking about politics and religion.
Any ideas how to change the shortcut icon to a 'real' one?

Old 12-11-06, 03:29 PM
tae
you want to get rid of the shortcut arrow on your i.e. icon on your desktop?

Old 12-11-06, 03:44 PM
P
icon

Originally Posted by tae View Post
you want to get rid of the shortcut arrow on your i.e. icon on your desktop?
I lost the original one so I created a shortcut. For instructional purposes only I was asking if it is possible to retrive the original that is a blue E without the little arrow that indicates shortcut.

Old 12-12-06, 03:38 AM
B
Hi Pete,

First of all, you might want to check windows security center in the control panel. See if you are set for "Automatic updates" from Microsoft. If you are, that icon changed for a reason. The reason is that Miicrosoft has seen fit to update your browser to version 7.0.

If you don't like it (and many people are having trouble with version 7.0) you can easily change back (like I DID) to version 6.0. Just go to control panel>add/remove programs> AND REMOVE version 7.0 of Microsoft Explorer.

Even the icon will change back...good luck

bs5

Old 12-12-06, 04:19 AM
P
seven

I have updates set to notify but don't download.
I tried msie 7 a while ago and did not like it either.
Any other ideas welcomed + thank you.

Old 12-12-06, 04:27 AM
P
seven

I moved the icon to quick launch then back to desktop and the seven disappeared.

Old 12-12-06, 07:22 PM
C
Inside Internet Explorer, go to Tools and click on the Advanced tab. Find "Show Internet Explorer on the Desktop" and check it. If the checkmark is there, uncheck it, hit Apply, then recheck it and hit Apply then OK.

That should put an IE icon on your desktop that does not have the shortcut arrow on it. Then delete the existing shortcut.

Old 12-13-06, 07:13 AM
P
msie icon

I made note of your advice which I thank you for.

Old 12-13-06, 05:48 PM
tae
1. Start regedit.
2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTlnkfile
3. Delete the IsShortcut registry value.

You may need to restart Windows XP.
there are other registery entries that can be modified for other icons, but this should work.

Using the Registry Editor
The Registry Editor (regedit.exe) is included with Windows to enable you to view and edit the contents of the Registry. When you open the Registry Editor, you'll see a window divided into two panes. The left side shows a tree with folders (see Structure of the Registry above), and the right side shows the contents (values) of the currently selected folder (key).

To expand a certain branch, click on the little plus sign [+] to the left of any folder, or just double-click on the folder. To display the contents of a key (folder), just click the desired key, and look at the values listed on the right side. You can add a new key or value by selecting New from the Edit menu. You can rename any value and almost any key with the same method used to rename files; right-click on an object and click rename, or click on it twice (slowly), or just press F2 on the keyboard. Lastly, you can delete a key or value by clicking on it, and pressing Delete on the keyboard, or by right-clicking on it, and choosing Delete.

Old 12-14-06, 05:45 AM
P
icon

Originally Posted by tae View Post
1. Start regedit.
2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTlnkfile
3. Delete the IsShortcut registry value.

You may need to restart Windows XP.
there are other registery entries that can be modified for other icons, but this should work.

Using the Registry Editor
The Registry Editor (regedit.exe) is included with Windows to enable you to view and edit the contents of the Registry. When you open the Registry Editor, you'll see a window divided into two panes. The left side shows a tree with folders (see Structure of the Registry above), and the right side shows the contents (values) of the currently selected folder (key).

To expand a certain branch, click on the little plus sign [+] to the left of any folder, or just double-click on the folder. To display the contents of a key (folder), just click the desired key, and look at the values listed on the right side. You can add a new key or value by selecting New from the Edit menu. You can rename any value and almost any key with the same method used to rename files; right-click on an object and click rename, or click on it twice (slowly), or just press F2 on the keyboard. Lastly, you can delete a key or value by clicking on it, and pressing Delete on the keyboard, or by right-clicking on it, and choosing Delete.
>>I have put all in my 'learning" folder to study - I do appreciate the instructive advice.

Old 12-14-06, 10:38 AM
P
msie 6

Originally Posted by chirkware View Post
Inside Internet Explorer, go to Tools and click on the Advanced tab. Find "Show Internet Explorer on the Desktop" and check it. If the checkmark is there, uncheck it, hit Apply, then recheck it and hit Apply then OK.

That should put an IE icon on your desktop that does not have the shortcut arrow on it. Then delete the existing shortcut.
>>Fyi, msie 6 does not have the option you suggested listed under advanced.