buying advice

Old 12-11-06, 06:08 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
buying advice

my folks are going to get me a new computer for Christmas because mine will not run the new flight simulator X. been a while since I had a new one and am out of the loop.
What is the latest and greatest now? They are also getting me the program along with the hardware to fly.I have windows XP now will that be gone soon?Should I get the one after XP I forget the name?
Not sure but what to get. Any brands better then others.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-06, 06:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Noname brands are just as good as any other machine.. The biggest difference is installed software.. If you have the OS installation CD, you can build your own machine and install XP on that..
XP is the latest OS and will be for some time to come.. Vista isn't due to be released for some time yet..

Old 12-11-06, 07:00 PM
R
Vista will be released early next year. It is already available to developers. Some computer manufacturers are supplying certificates for free upgrades once it is commercially available.

If it were me, I would wait until it is formally released. I also buy my systems with everything pre-installed by the manufacturer. I do not have the time (although I do have the desired and knowledge) to build my own system and make it work.

Old 12-12-06, 01:46 AM
M
not me

I do not have the knowleage to build a computer I have to get a plug in and go system.
I need something with a lot of memory for the flight simulator X and some extra to spare for other computer functions. Also a flat screen.My computers now have 2GB processors I am guessing they have more now. Is the pentium chip still top dog?
All things I need to know,

Old 12-12-06, 05:35 AM
Check game requirements

If you are mainly getting the new computer for this new flight sim game. Check out the recommended systems specs from the games web site. The most important part of your new system will be the video card, get what the game recommends or something even a little better. Get plenty of memory too, it is very affordable these days, get at least 1 Gig of memory.

I would stay with XP and shy away from Vista just yet, Microsofts latest and greatest are always more trouble then they are worth till it has been out in the mainstream for a while.

Both AMD and Intel are fine for processors, if you are looking for gaming power I would stay away from the celeron chips. You can do searches on the internet for complete system reviews, gaming systems reviews. Tons of sites out there that do all these reviews for you already.

Your only concern about computer makers at this stage would be support. No offense but you do not seem like a techy type person. If something breaks you will want good support from the PC maker. Opinions vary on who is better on this and I really have no opinion since I never use any of them.

Good luck

Old 12-12-06, 09:58 AM
Hi:
If you need a tech. support, I recommend the HP/Compaq that has a terrific support, from Software to Hardware. There are several different suppors, from e-mail to 'Live Chat.' Due to my work-schedule, I often do 'Live Chat,' very early morning and very late at night since they are available 24 hours, 7 days a week.

There are 4 PCs and cureently added one Laptop, all of which is the HP/Compaq. None of us are computer experts, say the least. Then, whenever the issue is going to progress, we all depend on the HP support. You can ask as many times as you want until the issue/issues are solved.

The HP support group are all VERY nice, pleasant, friendly, cauteous, first off VERY knowledgeable. They all make their best efforts to help you out until the issue were solved. Once, I did several times due to a very difficult issue I had. Finally, they directed me to the software maker, but it has mostly 'forum' to depend, for that I needed to spend much of the day for finding the solution.

If you'd like to find out, the following HP site would be helpful.

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/300750-0-0-225-121.html

Old 12-12-06, 12:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Recommended specs are the very LEAST a game will run on, and not very well..
Get the most machine that can be afforded, paying attention to a good video card, and at least 1 gig RAM..
HP/Compaq are good computers.. I always hear complaints about Dell machines..

Old 12-13-06, 06:28 AM
B
Only thing is...

Flight Sim X has kinda been designed for Windows Vista and DirectX 10, so if you want your machine to be Flight Sim X spec... wait for those two to be released.. then buy your machine. If you can't wait... The Intel Core Duo chips are supposed to be the market leaders at the minute and no the speeds look around the same 2 - 3 ghz but they are now dual core so effectivly 4 - 6 ghz. As for graphics, the 512MB ATI Radeon X1950 XTX (altho rather pricey) is undoubtably the greatest card on the market at this time and I suspect untill the DirectX 10 gfx cards are released. Nvidia also make great cards in the Geforce series. The general rule for ram is you need half as much ram as you have cpu, so if you got a 1000mhz (1ghz) machine you want 512 mbs of ram. I wouldn't use anything less than 2gbs of ram. 1 sata harddrive, a case, a motherboard (or mainboard or whatever they calling it at min), floppy drives and a monitor and your done... oh and lets not forget a joystick