Internet Connection Sharing.

Old 12-14-06, 05:07 PM
J
Received 139 Votes on 125 Posts
Internet Connection Sharing.

I have a new PC that I still setting up. In my old PC I have 2 nic cards. One is connected to the internet, the other to the new PC. Home network is working I can see and access the old PC from the new PC.
Both are running WINXP. I have been through everything I can find about enabling ICS all the settings look proper but I can't get to the internet from the new PC. My cable company saya I should be able to but they won't support me in setting it up.
I tried turning off the firewall on both PCs and it still won't go through.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-06, 05:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two net cards in ONE machine? I think this would cause conflicting errors. Why don't you put that second card in the other computer and have a router? I have never seen a computer with two net cards running at the same time.

Old 12-14-06, 06:59 PM
R
What you want can and will work. I don't recommend it, but it will work. Unfortunately I don't have any experience doing it (since it is highly inefficient).

You can continue struggling with this, or you can do the better solution and buy a router. A router will be faster, safer, and you won;t have to have the first PC on to use the second one.

Old 12-15-06, 12:57 PM
More than one card in a machine is OK.. I have 1 wireless, and 2 onboard NICs in my machine.. Many Motherboards come with 2 onboard NICs..

Make sure the NICs are enabled.. Right click on them in Networking..
You might have to turn on BRIDGING of the cards to get the flowthrough..
You might have to use a crossover cable if I remember correctly..

I had been using my connections like you are trying to do, and ended up using a router.. It is much easier to do it that way..

Old 12-15-06, 03:44 PM
R
joed,

You may not have liked my earlier post, but it represents the best course of action. You would be done, and your connections would be much safer if you had followed it.

As for your problem, can you see each PC from the other by IP address? What IP subnet are you using for your local intranet? What IP address does each machine have?

Old 12-15-06, 04:39 PM
J
router?

He's right a router especially wireless is the way to go! Plus with wireless u can put computers anywhere in house without all the hassle of hookups and wiring. As soon as I got a wireless router never had another problem and love the idea of moving around without hassle. Routers have own firewall,60.00$

Old 12-15-06, 06:20 PM
J
Received 139 Votes on 125 Posts
Here is what I have. I am not interested the router option so don't try and push it.
PC#1
Win XP
2 nic cards
#1 NIC connected to the cable modem. Internet connection sharing enabled. Internet connection firewall turned off. Interenet access is working fine.
#2 NIC connected to The #2 PC via a cross over cable.
Home networking is setup. I can see the files on each others PC via the network.
Outpost firewall running. Tried turning it off. Still not able to access internet from PC#2.

PC#2
Win XP
New install still setting up fully. Using network to get files from #1 PC that are needed.
2 NIC cards
#1 NIC will access internet if I swicht the cable from #1 PC.
#2 NIC connected to The #1 PC via a cross over cable.
Home networking is setup. I can see the files on each others PC via the network.

No firewall or anti virus running yet.

Old 12-15-06, 06:29 PM
Good luck.. That's why I went with a router..