setting up wireless laptop

Old 12-15-06, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
setting up wireless laptop

Have a new dell laptop that I want to setup as desktop, but be able to use throughout the house with internet access. The internet connection is high speed cable.

What do I need?

Last edited by Stumped1; 12-15-06 at 11:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-06, 01:58 AM
A wireless router and a internet access card to match the router

Old 12-16-06, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
Or just the wireless router if your laptop has on-board wireless capability. If you google "wireless home networking" or something similar you'll get a lot of info to help.

Old 12-16-06, 06:39 AM
Your original post is a bit confusing. Desktop and throughout the house are quite different.

I recommend configuring the wireless router with the laptop directly connected to the router. Enable ALL security on the router and set the laptop wireless to match.

Then disconnect the cable to the router and let the wireless take over.

Old 12-16-06, 08:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As racraft said, configure the router with a cable connection.. Security is primary..

A word about wireless.. If you intend on doing any online banking or purchasing, DO NOT use wireless.. Use a network cable.. WEP and WPA is not at all secure, and anyone with the right software could intercept sensitive info..

Last edited by AxlMyk; 12-16-06 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-16-06, 11:20 AM
I meant that I want the laptop to be primarily a desktop, but be able to disconnect and use the internet in other areas of the home. Exactly as rafcraft described.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

And thanks for the tip about wireless online banking.

Old 12-19-06, 04:41 PM
Does the router replace the cable modem? or is it in addition to the cable modem?

Old 12-19-06, 05:13 PM
Cable modem connects to Router..
You need them both..
Get it going and we'll help you configure it..
What brand and model is the router?

Old 12-19-06, 08:47 PM
It's a Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Router with 4-ports.

I got it connected to the modem with default settings, but it's probably not setup correctly, the autosetup feature would only work if there was another wireless device (I only have the laptop). It was prompting me for some WEP, WAP settings, which I guess has to do with wi-fi, etc. but I have no idea which one to select.

Any help would be great.

Old 12-19-06, 09:08 PM
What you configure for setting depends on what your computer wireless card has available. Use the highest setting that is available on both.

If you have WPA2 use it.
If not, but you have WPA use it.
If not, but you have WEP use it.

If you don't even have WEP then do not use any wireless.

After you get the connection working turn the broadcast setting off. You do not want to advertise your network, secured or not.

Do not have your router assign IP addresses, rather hard code an IP address into each computer. Turn off DHCP on the router after you do this.

Configure your router to only allow connections from known MAC addresses, and code in the MAC addresses of your wireless devices.

If you do not understand the above, then get some help, either on your own by reading or by paying someone to help you. Do not use your wireless in an unsecured manner.

Last edited by racraft; 12-20-06 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-20-06, 03:42 AM
Your router supports WPA (it's not WAP)encryption.. Use it in 128 bit mode..
You input a security code using hexadecimal.. 1-9 and a-f..
Remember to WRITE IT DOWN..
Here's a text file I keep in my documents..

1. Change the router password. One important (and often forgotten) security measure is to change the default password that lets you access the router settings.

2. Disable remote router access. This won't prevent a determined local wireless user from accessing your router, but it will keep anyone from accessing your router from a remote location through the Internet.

3. Change the SSID and disable broadcasting. The Service Set Identifier (SSID) is the name of your local wireless network. You'll need to know it in order to set up other wireless clients on your network. All wireless routers come with a default SSID that you should change. While you're at it, disable SSID broadcasting, which advertises the network to anyone in the vicinity who is using a wireless-equipped computer. You would be amazed at how many networks are named MSHOME..

4. Turn on the firewall. Routers usually have their firewall turned on by default, but make sure that's the case. Also, enable any additional firewall features such as the ability shown here to block anonymous Internet requests. For extra security, run a software firewall on every PC on your network. For more information on how to do this, see "Bulletproof Your PC With a Software Firewall."

5. Enable data encryption. Data transmitted by a wireless network can be read by anyone who picks it up unless it's encrypted. All wireless routers have encryption capabilities. We don't have room here for a full discussion of the various types of encryption, but WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) is the standard that offers the most protection of data. Choose 'WPA Pre-Shared Key' for home or small-business networks. (Don't worry about any entries with 'RADIUS' options. Those are for large corporate installations.)

Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) isn't as secure as WPA, but if you have older wireless cards on your network computers, you'll have to use it. WEP and WPA aren't compatible.

When you make your choice, additional options and menu items will appear. Check your router manual for detailed instructions.

6. Enable MAC filtering. The Media Access Control (MAC) address is a unique identifying number assigned to each network device. Enabling MAC filtering in your router improves your network's security by accepting transmissions only from PCs with specific MAC addresses. You can also prevent certain MAC addresses from accessing the network.

Using this option takes some work. The MAC address is usually printed on a sticker attached to a network card, or on the bottom of a laptop PC. To find your PC's MAC address in Windows XP, open a command box (Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt), type getmac, and press Enter. Do this for each PC on your network and enter it in your router's list.

Old 12-27-06, 10:37 PM
I misplaced my box with the cd and my network key. I've read that I can get this and reset it by accessing the router, but I can't figure out how to access the router settings. How do I do this?

I have renamed the network and have a network password, but it seems without the network key I can't go any further.

Old 12-28-06, 07:02 AM
2 methods:

1. Access it with your browser 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1
Login as admin w/password

2. Do a powerup reset with the reset button on the back, and start all over..

Old 12-28-06, 07:44 AM
Wireless network

I also have a wireless network but, right now it is just internet access and the computers are not really networked yet. I want to be able to see the drives of all computers on the network and share a printer.
I have 1 PC with the cable modem and router connected.
I have on laptop with wireless that has access through the wireless modem to the internet.
I have another PC with wireless access through the modem.

What I would like to do is get them all connected to share the printer and all the drives.

Although I am computer literate, I am not network experienced so, I need an easy to follow way to set this up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-28-06, 08:44 AM
On the computer with the printer, share the printer.. On the others, install the printer drivers as a network printer..

As far as sharing drives, you right click on them in My Computer, then click on sharing and security, then set sharing.. You don't normally need to share the entire drive, just Documents and such.. To do that instead of sharing the drive, just right click the folder and set sharing..

Old 12-28-06, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
On the computer with the printer, share the printer.. On the others, install the printer drivers as a network printer..

As far as sharing drives, you right click on them in My Computer, then click on sharing and security, then set sharing.. You don't normally need to share the entire drive, just Documents and such.. To do that instead of sharing the drive, just right click the folder and set sharing..
The problem is I don't know how to see the other computers from My Computer.
Although they all access the same modem and router, I don't know how to get them to show up in My Computer. Do I need to just set up shares on each drive?

Old 12-28-06, 09:11 AM
You need to name the network.. Something besides MSHOME.. Set the same network name on all computers, and the router.. Give each computer a unique name from Control Panel - System - Computer Name tab..
Open My Network Places - Entire Network - Microsoft Windows Network - and you should see the network.. The computers should also show up when you open My Network Places..

Click on the desktop and press F1 for help.. Search for network, or choose it if it already shows..

Old 12-29-06, 04:56 PM
the ping isn't working 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 neither is reset.

Old 12-29-06, 05:06 PM
The router has a small reset button, that can only be pressed by a paper clip or a pen point. Push the reset button and the router will be wide open.

Old 12-29-06, 05:17 PM
Sorry but I dont' know what wide open means. After the reset how do I access the settings?

Thanks.

Old 12-29-06, 05:31 PM
The default address to the router is 192.168.1.1
Type that in the address bar of Internet Explorer..
It will ask you for the ADMIN password.. If you have
the book for the router, read it cover to cover.. It
should tell you the default password, if there is one..
It may not be set.. In that case, just press ENTER
when you get to the routers main page..

If you don't have the manual, go to www.linksys.com
and look for it there..

Old 12-29-06, 06:33 PM
The 192.168.1.1 is not working, I can't get into the router this way. I'll try the site for the manual.

Thanks.

Old 12-29-06, 06:53 PM
Are you directly connected to the router via an Ethernet cable and is your computer configured to request an IP address using DHCP?

Old 12-30-06, 05:59 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not all routers use 192.

If you visit the manufacturers website, they will surely have the manual online that will tell you the correct address as well as how to do a reset. Some require you to hold the reset for a period of time (30 seconds) or until a specific light on the unit flashes.

If you just tapped it, it probably didn't do anything.