User access to internet inaccessible

Old 12-16-06, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
User access to internet inaccessible

I have a newer Dell E520-series computer running XP Media Center which I have five password protected, user accounts setup. One for each of the three kids, one for my wife and one for myself with the account administrator status being only on my account. Whether or not it is coincidental or not I'm unsure of, but since I have moved into a new home only the administrator (my account) is able to access the respective home page of IE 7.0 (which was also upgraded to upon moving). The other accounts, however, can access the internet by way of, say, automatic downloads or "help" sites (Dell, Microsoft, etc.) and, what seems quite strange to me, the new icon for IE 7.0 should have an "e" with a ring around it but on the accounts other than the administrator's, the ring is nonexistant, just the "e". By the way, each account does have the desired homepage address in the "Internet Properties" dialog box. Also, I have a router installed but do not have a network setup yet as the other computer I have is a Windows ME and apparently is not supported by the Linksys system I've purchased, per a Linksys technician. After chatting and handing over controls of my computer to a Dell technician and going through four hours of exhaustive tests, the tech has detemined I need to reinstall XP. I'm not willing to do that at this point, so, any ideas out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-06, 05:46 AM
R
You should not have made two changes at the same time. It is always best when working woth computers to go one change at a time.

What exactly is the problem you are having. Can the other users use IE7 and access most web pages? Is it only some web pages that they cannot access? Your comment about accessing their home page is confusing.

I suggest that you try uninstalling IE7, to get the computer back the way it was. I can't help you much more in that regard, because I had trouble with IE7 and had to uninstall it.

I will tell you this, though. I have used IE7 elsewhere, and find it nothing to write home about. other browsers are still better and safer than it, and you can always use one of those.

The line about Windows MyEnemy not being supported is bull. Windows MyEnemy will work with any normal router and network configuration out there.

Old 12-16-06, 06:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The common factor here is IE7.. Get rid of it and try again..

Old 12-16-06, 10:43 AM
If it is in fact IE7 then why can I (account administrator) have unfettered access? To both IE7 and Outlook but the others (with limited access) can't? Go easy on me, I'm a mechanic not a computer guy. When the limited access user accounts (all but me) try to open up IE the Internet Properties dialog box pops up but will not allow access to the Web. And with Outlook it will not download any new incoming messages, an error box pops up telling me, in essence, that I have no internet service available to retrieve such. Why is there no ring around the "e" on the other accounts? If you still insist it is an IE7 issue and after I uninstall such then how do I get back to what I had? In other words, how do I install IE6.whateveritis?

Old 12-16-06, 11:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try Firefox..

Old 12-18-06, 02:28 AM
I've downloaded and installed Firefox (it's okay, nothing special) and uninstalled IE but still no improvement for the password protected, limited accounts. Any more ideas?

Old 12-18-06, 05:04 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Why not change one of the account to admin, and see if they can then access it? If they can, change it back to limited and try again.

You might also go through the policy editor and see if something there got changed.

Old 12-18-06, 06:09 AM
I've done that, dragon, to no avail. And I have also tried to set up a new "test" account and this, too, didn't work. What is and where do I find the policy editor? Does Microsoft have a tech line and/or online help center? I believe it to be a Microsoft issue which Dell can't help me with.

Old 12-19-06, 10:53 PM
Y
i wonder if the problem has anything to do with the proxy settings. because when you connect to the internet through some/certain proxy servers, they only allow you to connect to certain sites or will block certain sites.

Old 12-20-06, 06:49 PM
tae
ok...your account can access the internet simply by clicking on the i.E. icon. everything normal and ok.
The other accounts click on the icon and get nothing?
will bookmarks work?
they have to type in a site, like yahoo.com, or microsoft.com?
only clicking existing links like under the start menu?
is there a firewall running?
antispyware?(ran on all accounts)
tried from safemode?
downloaded the install program from, say, firefox, and installed it under one of the other accounts?
and of course you have tried without the router, just a straight connection to rule that out?

Old 12-21-06, 11:49 AM
I got it solved! Well, my 20-year old did when he came home from school. I simply did not have the other accounts set up with IE (acutally, I'm now using Firefox). I didn't realize that each account had to be set up with such, I assumed that since I am the administrator that each account would have access to computer wide. I sure love computers but I have alot to learn. Thanks to all for the help though. Is there a way for me to set things up system wide when I do install programs/software?