Sharing HD

Old 12-16-06, 05:39 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharing HD

Is it possible to share one external hard drive between 2-3 different computers? (by connecting them through a hub or something?)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-06, 05:49 AM
R
Yes. However, I have never done this and do not recommend it, and I am not familiar with products that allow this. I am fairly certain that unless you are talking about a large number of computers that it would be cheaper to put a new hard drive in each machine.

Another solution would be to put a hard drive in a USB external case and carry it from computer to computer when you need it.

Old 12-16-06, 06:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why not recommend it? It's done all the time.. Gotta look outside the box..
Try this link..
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10594&gclid=COT68Iqcl4kCFQgNSAodsnAQPg
A Google search of Network Storage brings up all kinds of answers..

Old 12-16-06, 06:50 AM
A
Yes it is

Yes, it is possible. I am assuming that you are running some flavor of windows here.

On the computer that the external hard drive is installed on, find the icon for it in My Computer and then Right Click on it. Select Properties. There is a tab called SHARING that you can use to set the drive as a shared drive. Be sure to give your users proper access (read only, read-write, whatever).

Thats half the battle. The other users not physically connected to the drive (but still on your network) need to know the name of your computer and the name you gave the drive. They can MAP a drive to it and then they are good to go.

You dont need to buy anything, its all in Windows already. Just make sure all computers are set up on the same network and can 'see' each other. Then read up on the Map Drive command, its not hard to figure out.

Old 12-16-06, 06:55 AM
R

The original poster is looking to share by means of an external device, not by going through a computer.

Old 12-16-06, 07:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just follow the link I provided.. Network drives plug into a network switch..

Old 12-16-06, 07:34 AM
R
Make sure that you understand your needs and what you can and cannot use a network drive for.

You can use a network drive to store files. These can be be pictures, documents, file for various programs, executable files that do not require installation, etc.

You cannot use a network drive to install programs, at least not to be able to run on every computer. Programs that require installation, and this applies to most Windows programs, cannot be run on a computer unless specifically installed on the computer.

Network drives are great if you need to share files between computers or for backing up your files, but for everyday use from a single computer they are not as efficient as the hard drive in the computer.

Old 12-16-06, 01:33 PM
D
I find the whole networking idea very confusing. The new HD evidently has both a USB & a Firewire output. What would happen if I connect the USB output to one computer & the Firewire output to another computer? (I am the only one using these computers so there is no chance of 2 computers trying to access this new HD at the same time) Both computers use Win XP. (I have a 3rd, older computer that I was thinking of using at some point & that computer is Windows ME....... The files I want to share would be strictly photos & videos...No programs)

Old 12-18-06, 06:26 AM
C
You will only connect one of the two connection on the drive to something.

To use it on more than one computer, you connect it to either one of the computers and share it from there over the network, or you get a NAS device that a USB drive can be connected to, or has its own drive you store your data on.