I believe I have spyware, and it cant be removed.

Old 12-16-06, 12:34 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe I have spyware, and it cant be removed.

As of right now, I use google and Yahoo as my basic search engine. When I search, say for music or lyrics, it gives me the results as usual, I click the links andit sends me to a completly different page usualy AOL or Amazon or another google page looking to buy items. I know its the correct link because for example: Search: Nine Inch Nails, the site I am given is www.nin.com, which is the corect site, I click the link, it gives me a google search engine to buy NIN music. Only Rightclick-New window seems to work but not all the time.

I have attempted to correct this with :

Trend safe virus scanner
Webroot Spy sweeper
Ad-Aware SE from Lavasoft

So far nothing has worked. All programs are uptodate except I think for the free As-Aware from there site. Any other free softrware to help? (trend safe and webroot arent free, there what I normaly use)

Old 12-16-06, 01:20 PM
R
If you truly have spy-ware that cannot be removed then your only solution is to reformat your hard drive and start over. A good idea if you have never done this and the machine is a year or more older anyway.

However, I am not convinced from your description that you have a problem. I have seen people unfamiliar with the way in which some search engines operate click on a different link than the one they wanted.

I suggest that you try a different browser, and see if that helps.

Old 12-16-06, 01:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That isn't spyware doing it, it's the sales mechanism of the Internet..
Apparently, you're looking to get free music.. That is illegal, and won't be discussed here.. The links that you have been following, are legit.. When you put your cursor over one of the links, look on the bottom left-hand corner of your browser.. That will show you where the link will take you..

Old 12-17-06, 07:34 AM
T
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Did you check to see if your homepage was hijacked?

Old 12-18-06, 12:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Here is a site that offers free music of many genres.. You are free to grab all that you can.. I say again, this is all FREE music..
http://music.download.com

Old 12-22-06, 09:12 AM
E
Rosekindred didn't actually say anything about downloading music, legal or otherwise.

I had a similar 'browser hijacking' take place over a period of weeks and it turned out to be spyware/virus related. The baddie in question would hide and/or rename itself each time I ran a sweep using various virus, spyware and malware checkers.

Do a search for 'rootkit' or 'rootkit virus removers' (it was a while back ... I don't remember the exact wording). I managed to find a demo or online checker that found my particular problem. From the way you describe it, it sounds like the same trouble I was having.

Old 12-22-06, 01:31 PM
I been having some unusual things going on lately such as clicking on a link and a google search page opening up
with a unrelated search feild and I'm using Opera.
Way strange

Old 12-22-06, 03:05 PM
E
Yup. Same as me & Rose. It is a form of 'browser hijack' as tomtom referred to. As I said, search for a 'rootkit scanner'. It fixed my trouble.

Old 12-23-06, 09:56 AM
R
I did not want to download the music, I wanted to go to the people site for the lyrics and also alot of the sites have there live videos posted or free videos to watch which is why I looked for NIN or Dresdon Dolls. I am famialr with the way search engines work, if I wasnt then when i would Right-click open the page WOULD NOT have given me the correct link, but it did. The real problem was just click the link it gives without a new window. Anyways, the problem was also in FireFox so I belive it could have been something else like the bottem people discribed. The only solution I havefound was to system restore back a month and now it works.

"That isn't spyware doing it, it's the sales mechanism of the Internet..
Apparently, you're looking to get free music.. That is illegal, and won't be discussed here.. The links that you have been following, are legit.. When you put your cursor over one of the links, look on the bottom left-hand corner of your browser.. That will show you where the link will take you.."

That is not correct. Just because it shows the link in the bottem, does not mean it will go there, otherwise the pages I wanted would have.

"Do a search for 'rootkit'"

THanks I will keep this one in mind and look for it just incase it happens again.

"Homepage was hijacked"

No mine wasnt. It still left on the SBC homepage.

Thanks all for your help.

Old 12-23-06, 02:41 PM
E
"I did not want to download the music, I wanted to go to the people site for the lyrics and also ... "

Don't be discouraged by some of the negative responses you received Rose. It is, I think, a symptom of modern communication that less reading & thinking takes place before answering, as if the speed of the response and the solution is more important than the content. The intent still emanates from the right place.

Personally, I think think this is a great forum, as long as one remembers that all, let alone FREE, advice should be taken with a grain of salt. If nothing else, it provides other avenues of thought possibly not considered.

I have no idea who started this site but I have great admiration for anyone that encourages the do-it-yourself way of thinking.

Flashy taglines & icons aside, everyone is equal. As long as things keep changing, no one person is an 'expert'. There truly is no such thing as a 'stupid' question, else why would this site exist?

Keep coming back -- I do

Merry Christmas!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: