xp and win 98 networking help..please

Old 12-17-06, 05:41 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
xp and win 98 networking help..please

Hello out there and Merry Christmas...I live in a 2 story home with a compaq running xp home edition, and have a gateway running win 98 almost directly above. I recently installed a hp officejet 5510 printer that HP gave me after the other all-in one jammed up..The other printer was not a 5510 series...but i could at least share that printer with the upstairs computer. Now i've got this 5510 and it works great but i can not get it to print from the win 98 computer. I have been thru all the troubleshooting and have been to the hp web site but still no printing from gateway computer. It prints fine off the xp. I have been thru network wizard,and done everything i can think of. HP web site says to substitute officejet 5510 with a deskjet 3650. But when i go to add printer and click on hp manufacturer the 3650 is not in the list.... I have made sure that i am sharing the printer from both computers..I have all the file and document sharing working fine...??? Don't understand it...Please help...Oren

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-06, 08:48 PM
R
Download the Windows 98 driver for the 3650 from the HP web site.

Old 12-18-06, 04:27 AM
O
I already did this on the win 98 computer...But do i do it on both computers as if i'm only using a 3650 for both to share. When i downloaded 3650 software on the win 98 it was just essentials for that printer (photos, copying,etc). I could'nt find after the download anything concerning the drivers.....thanks for anymore suggestions

Old 12-18-06, 05:01 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you are sharing a printer on a computer, that computer must have all the drivers for all the OS's that will be accessing it, so that it can interpret the commands sent to it correctly. It even tells you this when you share it..

The computer accessing that printer only needs the driver for it's own OS.

Though I've said it before, the best way to share a printer is to use a print server (or use a network printer). The print server is a small investment (< $70), but worth every penny.

Old 12-19-06, 11:01 PM
Y
is the printer connected to the XP computer? ...

if it is connected to the XP printer and when you try to add the printer to the win98 computer are you selecting the "add a network computer" and Not "local printer"?