Pictures of how to hook up power lines etc to mother board

Old 12-20-06, 06:21 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pictures of how to hook up power lines etc to mother board

Does anyone have a site I can go to so I can see why my new disk drive will not work, I did a no no and hooked up the new disk drive at the same time I tried to connect the slave hard drive and now cannot get it to power up or even get the slave drive to acknowledge it is there.
Something tells me it is power related???
Some type of schematic would work well.
Any help appreciated.
Thank you!

Old 12-20-06, 06:33 PM
R
Disconnect the drives and start over.

There are two cables per drive. The power cable won't install backwards. The data cable might, but it is easy to read the numbers and install it the right way.

The issue with drives is do you have the jumpers set properly? The jumpers need to be set for cable select, or for the specific drive they are installed as (master or slave).

Old 12-20-06, 07:01 PM
tae
yep. pull the old drive out until the new one is installed and working ok. you might need to get in the bios to change the settings.

Old 12-20-06, 07:20 PM
H
Thank you both.
I took them apart, started over attached the end of the cable to the hard drive and the center cable is suppose to go to the slave, ? but there is only one wire left that is open and it appears to go to the disk drive for power. I did plug it in and did not work.
Hard Drive/slave does not show up and disk drive will not show there is a disk in.
Not much a puter techy, were is the bios please? How to get to them.
Is there any website that shows me how the wires are suppose to look and were they are suppose to be connected properly. I am doing something wrong.
Ohh.. The slave drive jumper is right too.

??

Old 12-21-06, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
To get in the bios settings, try hitting the delete key repeatedly while the computer is booting up. Should get the bios menu. Work through the menu items until you find the hard drive info. One of the menu items may be "auto hard drive detection" or something similar. You may need to know the hd specs; this is normally on a sticker on the hd. Be careful in there. When you're done back out to the main menu and select "Save & exit".

Each drive should have a data cable- 40 pin - and a power wire - 4 wire flat connector.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 12-21-06 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-21-06, 05:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's impossible to get the power connection wrong.. It's the larger 4 pin connector.. The data cable has a colored wire on one edge.. That one connects to pin 1 on the 40 pin strip next to the power connector, and also to pin 1 on the motherboard connector.. Did your drive come with instructions?
Goto the manufacturers website for info..

Old 12-21-06, 10:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is how electronics and other things get ruined. People without know how tearing into things they no nothing about. I am not saying never do things yourself, but please please read up on how computers work. It olnly takes one static discharge to fry a motherboard.

In regards to your problem:

Like others have said, there is no way to connect power wrong. The power connectors off the power supply will only fit the corrisponding part.

Also, make sure your jumpers are correct. These are the small plastic tabs that are over little metal connector pins on the rear of the drives.

Your BIOS should already be auto recognizing the drives.

How do you know your disk drives do not power up if you can't get into BIOS?

When you initiially install a new drive, there are steps you have to take first in order for your computer to use the drive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: