Print Cartridges

Old 12-21-06, 05:41 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Print Cartridges

I have a Dell printer and they want $65.00 for cartridges. Do i have any other options, that seems a little high.

Old 12-21-06, 06:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
Check the office supply stores to see if someone else makes a cartridge for it. You can also check into refilling cartridges - we buy our ink new, but the toner in remanufactured cartridges.

Old 12-21-06, 10:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I don't know why ink cartridges are so high, often you can buy a new cheap printer cheaper than you can buy the refills. If you don't use your printer often [like me] a refill kit won't work if there is dried up ink remaining in the cartridge

Old 12-21-06, 03:02 PM
R
"Cartridge" can mean ink cartridges or toner cartridges.

The price you quoted makes it sound like toner. You can buy toner from any source that makes it for your printer.

If you mean ink cartridges, you can also buy them from various sources. I do not recommend you ever buy used cartridges or bulk ink and refill them yourselves. That is penny wise and and foolish, in my opinion.

Old 12-21-06, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
According to my Dell printer pop up when the ink is low, it claims that you can only buy Dell cartridges from them.

Old 12-21-06, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
racraft, have you checked the prices of Dell Inkjet cartridges? $50 - over $100 easily..

Old 12-21-06, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 266 Upvotes on 217 Posts
And the reason all the printer makers charge so much for cartridges? Same reason the oil companies charge so much for gas - because they can.

Old 12-21-06, 05:49 PM
try acsmsupplies.com

Old 12-21-06, 06:00 PM
R
Let's see. The ink cartridges for my inkjet printers are $11.00 (for the Canon that needs four cartridges) and $25-$30 for the Lexmark that needs two cartridges. But of course, these are higher end printers. not the cheap or free ones. And these are OEM cartridges, I won't waste my time with refills or third party junk.

Now the toner I buy is more expensive. But that's a different story.

The reason that Dell and some manufacturers sell their printers cheap, or even give them away, is because they want you to buy ink. The bottom line is, these printers are usually bottom of the line (and they print like it).

If you fall for the "free printer" come on, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Old 12-29-06, 08:53 PM
C
1: Dell printers use head-on-cart technology typically for their inkjet printers.

2: Dell Inkjet printers are typically custom built Lexmark printers. That could have something to do with it.

3: Printer manufacturers and resellers rely on the razors/blades business model. Head-on-cart printers and chips make it a bit harder to escape that model.

My advice is to get rid of that printer and get a printer that the head stays in the printer, such as middle-higher end Canon, Epson, or HP.I prefer Canon (and own one) for that reason. Even with OEM ink, you spend less than you would for a comparable quantity of ink for a head-on-cart system, and get much cheaper aftermarket cartridges that use new third party tanks (which I admit could suck), rather than "reconditioned" carts which might die halfway through your use of them, or worse.
And refilling them are easier than with some Head-On-Carts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: