Deleting OS (XP) and Reinstalling?????

Old 12-23-06, 12:15 PM
Upvotes Received: 1
Deleting OS (XP) and Reinstalling?????

My brother has a Dell computer w/ XP installed on it. You can't even get to the desktop and it freezes up. I wanna delete the whole hard drive b/c he has nothing on there of interest and reinstall XP. I have had to do it on my computer and I can't remember how I did it. I remember I had to keep pushing one of the Function buttons until a main menu came up. If anyone know please post back. He kinda needs it done before next tuesday. My co worker was going to do it but work was crazy this week and I never got a chance to take the tower in. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-06, 01:09 PM
The BEST way to reinstall the OS is to start with a Windows XP disk, and ignore whatever Dell may have on the hard drive. However, if you don't have the CDs for the applications that came with the PC then you are out of luck (however it is your own fault). You are also out of luck (again, your own fault) if you do not have the operating system on CD.

Pay attention to the boot up screen. It will tell you how to access the startup menu.

For all of you buying new PCs, you should insist (even pay extra for, if necessary) on getting CDs for ALL the applications you buy pre-installed and for getting the OS on CD. Don't rely on whatever the OEM does as far as putting the OS on the hard drive. Your asking for trouble if you do this.

Old 12-23-06, 01:23 PM
IT IS NOT MY FAULT ITS MY BROTHERS!!!!!!!! HA HA He does have all the cd's needed including the XP cd and all the driver cd's needed to get everything back up and running

So your saying that I should just stick in the OS cd???/ Thanks

Old 12-23-06, 01:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bad info racraft

I don't see how any of that is your fault.. After all, it's not your computer..

If you have the install CD, preferably a Dell CD, you need the PC to boot to the CD.. I believe it is F2 on a Dell, but it may be different, to get to the BIOS.. You need to tell it to boot to CD..

The original Dell install CDs have a routine that looks in the BIOS for the Windows key.. That way you don't need one.. If you don't have a Dell CD, you need the key..

If there is a hidden D: partition, it holds the reinstall software.. There is nothing wrong with using that, as it has all the drivers for that particular machine..

Old 12-23-06, 01:26 PM
One more thing, he did tell me he had all the cd's but if he don't I have all of my cd's and I bought mine about a yr after he did will they work. We both have XP. But I know the drivers may be different, like he has 2 cd burners in his computer so they may not work.

Old 12-23-06, 01:32 PM
Your CD will work, but the problem will be the key.. Using whatever is printed on a sticker on his machine may, or may not work..
You will also have to go to the Dell site, input the service number ( a sticker on the back) to get the drivers for the machine..

Old 12-23-06, 01:34 PM
Ok I know what you mean. Thanks so much. Racraft got a little carried away w/ thinking he knows everything!!!!!! I am going to give it a shot. Can't hurt!! THANKS

Old 12-23-06, 01:36 PM
Go here:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=2
to input the service number..
Device drivers are here:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_4550&os=WW1&osl=EN

Old 12-23-06, 01:40 PM
If the re-install information is on a separate partition on the hard drive, what do you do if the hard drive dies? Or what do you do if you want to install a new, larger hard drive, replacing the original hard drive?

Answer, you either pay Dell for CDs after the fact (which costs more, is not always an option, and takes weeks), or you scramble to find the software from somewhere else.

You should always buy a new PC with the reinstall software supplied on CDs.

Dell places the Windows XP key sticker on the side of the PC.

While it may not be your fault, because your brother bought the PC, my point is that the purchase was flawed if it did not include the re-install CDs.

Old 12-23-06, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
Bad info racraft

I don't see how any of that is your fault.. After all, it's not your computer..

If you have the install CD, preferably a Dell CD, you need the PC to boot to the CD.. I believe it is F2 on a Dell, but it may be different, to get to the BIOS.. You need to tell it to boot to CD..

The original Dell install CDs have a routine that looks in the BIOS for the Windows key.. That way you don't need one.. If you don't have a Dell CD, you need the key..

If there is a hidden D: partition, it holds the reinstall software.. There is nothing wrong with using that, as it has all the drivers for that particular machine..
A bit of bad info from you, The Dell XP CD does not "look in the BIOS for the Windows key" the key is coded on the CD, but the install is bios locked, if you use it on a non Dell PC, you will need to activate it, if it is a Dell PC it will be pre activated.

Old 12-23-06, 07:00 PM
All is great!! Works great, all the programs, drivers, etc are installed. There were 2 partitions and the one that had 19000mb in it got formatted!!! BYE BYE!!
It is F2 and I switched the boot sequence to the cd drive so I could run the xp install cd. Worked great. And if the hard drive would have died then oh well, the computer was unfixable b4 the reinstall. The purchase was not flawed b/c he had all the original cd's from dell. Thanks alot for all the great everyone!!

Last edited by racraft; 12-23-06 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-24-06, 05:06 AM
Just to comment on Racraft's point -

My son has a Toshiba Laptop 2 yrs old. It only came with a "recovery CD". (which seems to be the only way they come anymore).

We had to have the Main board replaced at some point -

Some time after that, I needed to reload due to viruses that I didn't want to deal with - so I popped in the Recovery Cd. The [email protected]#$ thing told me that the CD was not for this PC. (most likely due to the Main Board not being the same). Calls to "Worst Buy" and Toshiba was a pain.

Fortunately , my son's school had a great deal on XP Pro for students.

If you can get the "real Windows CD" then do it. If not then buy Ghost or something similiar to backup/restore your drive to a known good state.