Do I have a possibe virus??????

Old 11-27-00, 08:20 AM
scoggin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Help!! Yesterday I received 2 e-mails with attachments from a [email protected] subject: snowhite and the seven dwarfs The Real Story. I ran virus scan and found nothing so I tried to open attachments and there was nothing there. One of them asked if I wanted to run and install and I clicked on ok but nothing happened. Well everything was fine all day. I went to bed and shut my computer off. I got up this morning, turned my computer on and while trying to load everything is when my problem happens. Down where my clock, msn messanger, etc. they will not load. I get this error. (explorer caused an invalid page fault in module
KRNL386.EXE at 0002:00007alc) I ran my virus scan again and found nothing. I do not know what to do now. Could this be a virus or is this just coinsidental? Do you have any idea how I can fix this problem???????
HELP!!!!!!! (I also received another e-mail today just like the one yesterday. It was the same thing) I'm puzzled

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-00, 09:09 AM
Visiting Guest
What version of Windoze R U using? What virus scan r u running and which version? Sounds like one of your startup files may be corrupt. Possibly in the win.ini files or maybe autoexec.bat possibly.

Old 11-29-00, 05:44 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Wink

Go to your antivirus makers web site and get the latest update. NEVER open anything from ANYONE that you don't know! Especialy with the word sex in it! I don't think you got hurt but something has for sure happened with that install! If I were u I wouldn't turn computer off until u find out for sure it's not a trojan etc...

Old 12-11-00, 06:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Sounds like it might be the hybris I-worm

Old 12-11-00, 09:09 PM
scoggin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Originally posted by spike
Sounds like it might be the hybris I-worm

Yes I believe it is the hybris worm. But my problem is no virus protection has found it. I did open and select run and install the attachment (Joke.exe) but I have had my computer to 2 different shops and spent 150.00 so far and they can not find any worm or virus. I have since installed Nortons System Works and it does not detect anything either. I am about to go crazy because no one can find a problem and I know there is a problem. I have lost my mouse and keyboard so far and i can't check my mail half the time my computer freezes up every hour or so I have errors constantly, and my computer will not shut down properly anymore. If you know anything about this worm maybe you can give me some advice, because I do not know what to do about a problem that everyone say's is not there. But I know my computer is not right. And I am afraid that it is hiding under something that can't be detected. As I am typing this I am having to go back over it and correct things because now my brand new key board is screwing up. It is capitalizing letter's by itself and skipping letters. So if I have not caught them all I apoligize. Waiting to hear from you on this matter.
I have a pentium 111 550 and I run windows 98 plus second edition. Please what is your advice?

Old 12-11-00, 10:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Sorry to hear about your difficulties, Scoggin. I received a Snow White email from a friend about a week ago and deleted it because I remembered seeing your post. I got curious, researched, and found the Snow White-Hybris connection. Hybris sounds like it can be a real bugger. It apparently can upgrade itself with different plug-ins that it can get off the internet and doesn't always do the same things on different computers. I'm assuming that your Norton system works that you installed has the very latest Norton scan engine? Did you go to the internet after it was installed and update it with the very latest Virus definitions? If you haven't already done so, it may also be helpful for you to check out the Hybris virus information on several anti-virus sites--Symantec, McAfee, F-Secure, Etc. I have e-mailed my friend to ask if he successfully found and removed his infection that he got from Snow White and her little friends and I will let you know. In the meantime, there are much wiser people than myself on the forum. Perhaps someone else here has greater insight to impart.

Old 12-11-00, 10:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Scoggin,
My infected friend did restore his computer using Norton, he said it took it awhile to find it but that it seems ok now. Apparently, in his case, the worm was just randomly shutting down different programs. If you can't get your Norton to remove it no matter what you do, I suppose you could be looking at totally dumping your computer and reloading the programs from the disks. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Old 12-12-00, 05:39 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Old 12-12-00, 06:55 AM
scoggin
Visiting Guest
Scoggin,
My infected friend did restore his computer using Norton, he said it took it awhile to find it but that it seems ok now. Apparently, in his case, the worm was just randomly shutting down different programs. If you can't get your Norton to remove it no matter what you do, I suppose you could be looking at totally dumping your computer and reloading the programs from the disks. Hope it doesn't come to that.
Thank you at least maybe this is somewhere to start. I will go and update my nortons and see if that helps. I'll keep you posted.

Old 12-13-00, 08:05 PM
scoggin
Visiting Guest
found my virus

Originally posted by scoggin
Scoggin,
Thank you at least maybe this is somewhere to start. I will go and update my nortons and see if that helps. I'll keep you posted.
Spike, Just wanted to update you on my virus problem. Thanks to your advice I went and updated my Nortons which everyone failed to tell me to do! The Trojan and The Hybris worm was found at last. (glad to know I wasn't going insane after all) It had infected 11 files beyond repair and it got my winsock 32 dll file. My whole system crashed. But I am glad to say although I lost everything I am back up and running. I am looking at it from a different point of view.
Since having my computer I had downloaded alot of stuff that I later didn't want etc... So I'm looking at it as a new start. AND I have learned some very very valuble lessons. Thanks for responding to my post? No telling how long I would have went on without updating Norton's. Since this all started Nov. 25th I have had my computer to two different shops. The first shop installed new version of mcafee and found nothing. The second shop installed Norton's and run virus scan and found nothing. Total between the two I spent 150.00. Not one of them told me I should go home and update and scan again. It took two words from someone that wasn't charging me a dime to say GO UPDATE!!
Thank you again I have also learned another valuble lesson in my computing, UPDATE UPDATE once a month. lol

Old 12-14-00, 10:19 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Hey guy, about 4th of 5th post down my first advise was to go get your antivirus updated! They can't keep up with what they don't know about. So when a virus hits the wild the anti-virus people usualy post the fix etc within hours of the release of the virus.

Old 12-14-00, 01:04 PM
scoggin
Visiting Guest
virus

Originally posted by bigmike
Hey guy, about 4th of 5th post down my first advise was to go get your antivirus updated! They can't keep up with what they don't know about. So when a virus hits the wild the anti-virus people usualy post the fix etc within hours of the release of the virus.
Hey Guy, First of all the name is Sandy!! I am a female. Second of all I believe after reading your reply and trying to update is when I relized that my version of mcafee had expired. Then I started taking it to computer shops. Third of all I believe I called several computer people on the attachment that I recieved and was told they had never heard of such a virus. I personally feel that they should be up to date on these things. Now it seems to me if I were charging people to do a job I would like to think that I would do my very best to make sure they got what they paid for... Not to just install a antivirus program and send them on their way saying, NO YOU HAVE NO VIRUS AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE. These people proclaim to specialize in what they do. I never said I was a pro and yes I have made my share of mistakes. And will probably continue to make mistakes. After all I'm not a professional!!!
So before you jump the gun and get all defensive mister! I did take your advice to begin with. If I failed to say thank you, then I'm sorry. Thank you also...

Old 12-14-00, 08:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Good to hear that things worked out for you, Scoggin. I'm glad to have been of some help.