Notebook PC On Ethernet LAN?

Old 12-28-06, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Notebook PC On Ethernet LAN?

I have an Ethernet LAN that I set up myself six or so months ago. It has two desktop computers connected to it, and after a lot of trial and error, it works fine. The computer connect to the internet via a D-Link EBR 2310 router, a Westell DSL router, and Bell South's telephone lines.

For Christmas we got a destop computer. So, I'm wondering if it's possible for it to access the internet via our Ethernet LAN wirelessly? I want to keep the Ethernet LAN for a variety of reasons, but enable the notebook PC to get to the internet. I doubt if this can be done, but thought one of the gurus here would know if there is a way. If this won't work, any advice on how you would proceed (what equipment would you buy, etc.) to get to the internet via the new notebook computer would be welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-06, 08:33 AM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
You should be able to do it. You will need to install a wireless adapter into your router and the the laptop or any other computer will have wireless access to the internet.
these links might usefull

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1428
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm
http://www.bricklin.com/homenetwork.htm

Old 12-30-06, 07:52 PM
Just wanted to thank you, Joed, for the info. I read each link you provided, and it seems that the notebook PC could communicate with a wireless router, which could be connected by cable to our Ethernet router. I don't need to try to set this up yet, but foresee doing it in the near future.

Old 12-31-06, 06:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 26 Posts
You could also simply replace your existing router (I'm assuming it doesn't have wireless) with a wireless if you want to reduce the number of devices. The wireless models also have cable connectors for LAN. My daughter's laptop is set up to hook to the network cable at her desk and is also configured for wireless if she's elsewhere (handy next year when she starts college).

Old 01-01-07, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the info the_tow_guy.

I'm wondering what brand and type of router you are using -- so I can research them on the internet to learn more.

Thanks.

Old 01-01-07, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 26 Posts
I'm using a US Robotics Wireless Turbo Router that I've had hooked up for about three years. Not top of the line anymore as the newer stuff is faster. I also have a LinkSys print server connected that allows anyone connected to the net to print to the same printer. I have a friend (and former driver) who has a computer business who swears by LinkSys equipment.

Old 01-01-07, 07:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just to note, the newest "N" routers are not all they are made out to be.. The protocols are not finished yet.. It's a big sales pitch right now to get you to buy them.. Wait till things are finalized before putting the money down..