DVD burner

Old 12-29-06, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DVD burner

I'm needing to replace my CD burner. Can anyone recomend one? I was looking at this Sony on newegg. Any thoughts? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131039

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-06, 05:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sony makes good equipment.. That drive appears to be OEM, so don't expect to get a manual, or software with it..

Old 12-29-06, 05:37 PM
newegg.com is great. I always buy my computer parts from them. I've had good experience with almost every brand drive. You will spend extra money getting a Sony, or other known brand name, but, they are all good drives. And newegg is good about posting customer opinions.

Old 12-29-06, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
I'm needing to replace my CD burner. Can anyone recomend one? I was looking at this Sony on newegg. Any thoughts? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131039

What I know:
Cheap gets you no where. Stick with a big name. I bought on the cheap and went with LG as my "first" DVD burner. It lasted maybe 10 burns. Now I will buy that Sony.

Old 12-30-06, 12:08 AM
If you haven't done so already, I would read the reviews posted by other users on newegg. I personally stay away from brand name stuff because I know I'm just paying extra for the name.

NEC isn't necessarily a no-name brand, but I bought this drive here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152076

and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I've had it for about 6 months now, and it still runs very well. Quiet, fast, and no dead CDs yet. I burn quite a lot of CDs too...

You play a bit of a gamble with any electronic stuff - and from my experience, brand name doesn't always mean quality.

Old 12-30-06, 07:52 AM
Gezx
The drive he chose got better reviews than yours did..
NEC and Sony have combined their resources to build DVD/CD drives..

Old 12-30-06, 12:10 PM
That's great that they did.

I'm just letting people know of my experience with my drive. That's all.

Old 12-30-06, 12:25 PM
Does this look like a good one? The reviews on Tiger Direct sounded good.One question I have is in trying to research burners, one reviewer said make sure you have an 80 pin ide cable instead of 40 pin.My computer is about 2 or 3 yrs old.Short of taking the cable out & counting can anyone shed light on this?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DRU-810A-Internal-Double-Format/dp/tech-data/B000A5TBM8/ref=de_a_smtd/105-1258453-3828462

Old 12-30-06, 06:19 PM
You can tell the difference in the cables just by looking at them.. The 80 conductor cable has very fine wires.. Normally, those are used for hard drives.. For instance, if you have a drive with an ATA 133 interface, you need to use an 80 conductor cable to get the maximum transfer speed.. CDs and DVDs don't have anything near the speed of hard drives, so you don't need the 80 cond. cable, although they will work with CDs/DVDs..

That drive looks pretty good for the price..