Keyboard got wet!!!!

Old 12-31-06, 09:18 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keyboard got wet!!!!

Hello all, as stated the keyboard on my computer had a substantial amount of water dumped onto it from a kitten that my teenage daughter got for Christmas. Now after putting another keyboard on the tower, the keyboard does work but, the action relative to the buttons being pressed is really slooooow. And to boot, the mouse has quit also, which makes doing any tasks difficult to say the least. I can boot up alright but, afterwards I really can't do much because of the mouse problem, which by the way we also changed with another one.
I've tried booting in the safe mode and have tried several different modes without too much success. About all I learned was that there was a problem with the mouse.....no kidding.
I notice that the two plugs, mouse and keyboard hookup to about the same place so, I would assume they plug into the same board??
I have a feeling that this water has caused damage that is beyond any repair that I can do and I'll probably need some new hardware.
Really this computer is 7 years old. I'm a little surprised that it hasn't given up the ghost by now. I guess Compaq's are pretty good after all.
This is a Compaq Presario running Windows XP. If you need any other info. I'll check in from time to time on my brother in laws computer to see if anyone has any ideas on what if anything can be done. Thanx for any help that you can give. Toni.

Old 12-31-06, 02:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Have you tried a new keyboard and mouse? They are cheap. If that doesn't work, then maybe the motherboard is shot.

Old 12-31-06, 02:23 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
After you buy yourself a new keyboard get that protecta-cover for it!! They are about 10-15 bucks and work great! I am very very accident prone and if it wasn't for them I would have gone through about 8 keyboards.

Old 12-31-06, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by diyplank
After you buy yourself a new keyboard get that protecta-cover for it!! They are about 10-15 bucks and work great! I am very very accident prone and if it wasn't for them I would have gone through about 8 keyboards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

the covers more than a new keyboard

I cant image a motherboard issue , new mouse and keyboard will probably do it

Old 12-31-06, 11:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can actually take a keyboard apart, and run them through a dishwasher to clean them.. Just make sure it's fully dried before using it..
Dry it real good, with a hair drier on low if you need to..
Same with the mouse..

Old 01-01-07, 09:37 AM
T
Holy cow I can't believe it...its working again. I sat down this morning and thought I'd give it another shot and I remembered something about using the F-10 key for doing some configuration stuff. All I did was to select the restore default configuration and it finished booting up and worked just like it always did.
These things can sure be frustrating sometimes.
Anyways thanks for all your suggestions, they were appreciated. I think that the keyboard cover is a good idea. As usual it was dumb luck that prevailed. Regards, Toni.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: