Cloning Software?

Old 01-02-07, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cloning Software?

I'm going to be installing a new hard drive in my Gateway MX3060 notebook. The hard drive is acting funny and making a lot of noise. I want to do it before it totally fails!

I could do a fresh OS install on the new hard drive but since the notebook is about a year and a half old, I'm not quite at that point where there is a real need for the fresh OS install. It would be much easier for now to just clone the existing drive so I don't have to re-install all of my software and additional drivers.

I've read about cloning programs like "Acronis" but do I really need it or are there other options.
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-07, 09:07 AM
Unless you really know what you are doing when using your computer, you are about six months past the point where a new install is the tight thing to do.

Every version of Windows eventually gets bogged down with "stuff". Even the most knowledgeable users cannot prevent this, they can only slow it down.

I suggest that you bite the bullet now and do the clean install. In the long run, you'll be glad you did.

Old 01-02-07, 12:06 PM
What he said is true, but if you still want to clone it anyways, there are a couple options.

Depending on what hard drive you get, it may come with a utility to clone the old drive to the new one.

You can also use software such as Norton Ghost, which will cost some money but is fairly easy to use. There are also a couple free options which are a little harder to use: Miray's Hdclone and Ranish partition manager.