Refresh USB Driver Stack

Old 01-02-07, 07:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refresh USB Driver Stack

I have had USB issues for some time and have tried many tips, procedures, and suggestions from a variety of sources including manufacturers web sites, microsofts knowledge base and support services, and anything else I find on google.

The problem occurs when I connect a plug and play device via USB. The computer sees the new hardware, and the "New hardware installation Wizard" pops up, but it cannot locate the drivers.

I try these devices on my daughters computer and they work instantly.

I have uninstalled the USB hubs and controllers, and then rebooted to reload the drivers, but this did not help.

Anyway, I ran across a procedure to "refresh the USB driver stack" and was wondering if anyone had any info on this. It says that it may reassign IRQs, and I am not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Thanks for any help

HP Pavilion 2.8 gigs, USB 2.0, three years old w/sp2 and all ms and hp critical updates installed.

Old 01-03-07, 05:50 AM
C
When I have annoying, basic problems such as this, I start by running system file checker to ensure that all the basic XP files are in order. I can be surprising that some of them become corrupted, but the results of the rebuild are gratifying.

Click Start, Run.
Type cmd. Press enter.
In the terminal window that opens, type sfc/ scannow.
If a dialogue box opens requesting the XP installation disk, place it in the CD/DVD drive and click retry.

If a window opens with options to install windows and such, simply close it.

Once this completes, remove the disk and see how things work.

I learned the hard way not to connect USB devices before installing the drivers.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-07, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Chris, but that did not work either. I ran the scan and retried an external hdd and a digital camera, but neither would install.

Just to clarify, these are plug and play devices, which came with no drivers to install. The drivers are suppose to be present in XP, and neither website (manufacturers) has drivers available for download.

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: