how can I afford my printer

Old 01-03-07, 10:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
how can I afford my printer

I have a lexmark 3 in 1 printer/scanner. I have not been able to use more than the 1st quarter of any ink cartridge. The ink dries up in the cartridge. I use the printer every month but may go up to 3 weeks without printing anything. I tried removing the cartridge and storing it in a zip lock baggie and that worked for about 5 months and then I forgot to remove it and a week later is was dried up. The bottom line is, it costs me about a $1 per page to use my printer

I'm not against buying a new unit but I need to keep the all in one feature. I use the scanner as much as the printer but don't have room for 2 units. I tried making printing a test page a scheduled weekly task but all I accomplished was a notice upon logging on [everytime]that a scheduled task was not run

Is there anyway to make printing [for me] affordable? Is buying stock in the ink companies my only option?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-07, 10:40 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I suggest that you either get the weekly task running properly, or when you get the warning message that it failed to run that you manually make the test print.

As for another printer, I suggest a color laser. They do make them with scan capabilities.

Old 01-03-07, 10:50 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Especially if you don't need to print in color, a laser printer would be the way to go.

Old 01-03-07, 01:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the replies, I've just broke down and bought another ink cartridge but hope to have this issue resolved OR REPLACED before it runs dry.

Old 01-03-07, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Welcome to the world of color inkjet.

I found this out the hard way when I bought a b&w laser and didn't use my Epson inkjet for three weeks.
After blowing a nearly full set of cartridges in trying to clean the heads to make it work the printer was sent to printer heaven.
It seems that in some printers, Epson being one of them, the heads are part of the printer.
I now view the printing of at least one 4x6 color photograph on my new Canon a week as the cost of owning one of these infernal machines.

Old 01-03-07, 05:47 PM
tae
everything has it's ups and downs. my color laser carts (hp 1500l)are about $100.00 each, and I need 4. color is good for 4000 pages, and black for 5000, so they say. Plus, there's another part thats good for 20,000, and costs about $350.00. That all adds up. The carts can also become unusable over time, but it's a long time. My inkjet (canon multipass) i purchased after alot of research on ink carts. i can order 2 sets of 4 for around $20.00. print a page every week just like you would do a virus scan or backup. you could even set it to print a copy of the virus scan log once a week.

Old 01-04-07, 06:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've had Canon and Epson inkjet printers, but so far, my HP has given me the least amount of trouble with the cartridges..

Old 01-04-07, 07:28 PM
C
As others have stated, go with a laser based MFP. If you can do without color, you can get a decent laserbased MFP with flatbed color scanner for $150 to your door free (refurb brother MFC-7420) from Staples. Then you pay $63 every 2,500 pages for toner, and $105 every 12,000 pages for a drum. At the point it needs a drum you may as well just replace it, but with the small amount of printing you do, that will be a LONG time.

I have laser printers that are 10-15 years old with ancient toner cartridges...they pretty much last until the toner is used up, even if they sit for YEARS (assuming, of course, you don't store them in your barn).

Good luck, and good to see more east TN folks here! (Go Vols! lol)

Old 01-05-07, 05:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by chirkware View Post
Good luck, and good to see more east TN folks here! (Go Vols! lol)

Never cared much for the ball sports but I know where the fastest 1/2 mile is

Am I to understand that the toner cartridges don't dry up like the ink jet does?

Old 01-05-07, 06:04 AM
R
Toner is already dry. It's a powder.

Old 01-05-07, 06:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks, looks like I'll be saving my pennys and switching to laser when this newest ink cartridge dies.