nonhandy

Old 01-03-07, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nonhandy

is it hard to take out a hard drive from a laptop? would that get rid of everything on it (programs and such)? any advice how to do this? i'm not worried about hurting the machine.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-07, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
Let's start with what you're trying to accomplish. Is the hard drive bad or are you simply trying to prevent access to the information on it?

Old 01-03-07, 07:48 PM
cpu help

my brother is the owner of a somewhat large company and he has his "old" cpu. his "old" cpu is like 2 years old. anyway, he has new toys all the time and gave this one to me. the problem is, it's filled with tons of his work programs and such. he said the hard drive has been giving him probs, so to have it replaced. i was hoping to do it on my own. i could ask him to help, but thought i'd be COOL and show him i could do it on my own. hoping i'm able to be COOL for a few moments! haha.

Old 01-03-07, 08:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try just reformating it and loading up the OS. Reformatting it will erase everything.

Old 01-03-07, 09:00 PM
Talking

Depending on the laptop manufacturer,IBM for example, may have the OS image on a separate partition of the harddrive. Or if you have the original system restore CD's, reload these and it will restore the computer back to factory defaults with the OS intact. It will also save you time on reinstalling drivers and pre-loaded software. I doubt there is any physical problems with the harddrive. Majority of time reformatting will solve all of your problems and save you money.

Old 01-04-07, 06:58 AM
With my HP laptop, I was able to find the instructions on how to open the case, and remove parts, on the HP website..

Old 01-04-07, 07:43 AM
Its usually not too difficult to remove the hard drive. It depends on the brand and model of the laptop. Sometimes there will be one screw on the bottom that will open a panel to access the hard drive. Sometimes you have to remove the keyboard. Just depends. But like everyone said, unless you know there is something physically wrong with the hard drive, try reformatting it first.

Removing the hard drive from the laptop would allow you to start fresh, meaning that when you install the new hard drive you will not see any of the files or programs that were on the old hard drive. However, the files and programs would still remain on the old hard drive. If you are looking to erase them for security purposes, you would need to run a program to completely "erase" the hard drive. Let us know what you want to do and we can help.

Old 01-04-07, 07:55 AM
Note that if you install a new hard drive, you will need the original install disks (or install disks for the same versions of those programs) for any and all programs you plan to install and for the operating system. Your brother may be able to supply them, or he may not be.

Note that you should not have accepted this computer from him in it's present state. The company should have completely removed the hard drive before he got it, or should have at least erased it, or he should have done so.

Old 01-04-07, 08:28 AM
If someone gave me a laptop with the old hard drive in it, that wouldn't be a reason for me to turn it down.. I would just erase the HD myself..

Old 01-04-07, 09:28 AM
The proper solution is to have THEM erase the hard drive or remove it. At the very least, erase it in their presence, documenting everything you do.

In this age of identity fraud blindly accepting a hard drive from anyone, even a relative, is foolish. Personal information is just too easy to harvest.

Old 01-04-07, 10:50 AM
I agree, but I feel the responsibility should be on the original owner to erase it before giving it to anyone else. If they do not want to take the time/effort to do this, they are accepting whatever may happen with that data. I do not think the person who received the laptop should have turned it down because it was not erased. He could have made the owner aware that there is still data on it, but I don't think it is his responsibility.

Now of course if the new owner decides to use the data for illegal purposes, he is committing a crime and he is responsible for his actions.

Either way, he already accepted the laptop with the data, and wants to erase it.

Old 01-08-07, 08:11 AM
not worried

he's not worried about something I'll do with any "info" i have from it...it won't leave my house...and...well, nevermind...it's not the ? at hand...HOW to start from scratch is what I want...do i manually have to take something OUT of the cpu? or is there a program i can run through it????

Old 01-08-07, 08:24 AM
If the hard drive is bad, you need to replace it. I do not ever recommend someone opening a laptop who is not familiar with computers.

If the hard drive is fine, then you need to simply reformat it and re-install the operating system.

Do you have the original install CDs, or can you get CDs for the same version of the OS and for the software that was installed?

Old 01-08-07, 09:42 AM
Let's get back to the original post..

Originally Posted by nonhandy View Post
is it hard to take out a hard drive from a laptop? would that get rid of everything on it (programs and such)? any advice how to do this? i'm not worried about hurting the machine.
It is not hard to do if you have the instructions on opening the laptop.. It will not erase the data on the drive just by taking it out of the machine..

Chances are that you will not be able to just put that drive in another machine and expect it to boot up, UNLESS you install it as a slave drive.. In that case, you will be able to access the data on it..

Old 01-08-07, 12:31 PM
cpu

I don't have any cd's...i don't really know what's on there xp? i'm sure i can figure that much out by really looking at it (go to my cpu?)...what i'd like to do is to take EVERYTHING off there...it's even got blockers as far as being able to download stuff ONTO the cpu when i try to (i think all the cpu's at work had that so people wouldn't put stuff on it that shouldn't be)...what do i do about that?

Old 01-08-07, 01:11 PM
If it was a work computer, you probably won't be able to get the CDs. I'm not really sure what options you have. It will be really hard to get all the "work" stuff removed without reformatting the hard drive. You could purchase Windows XP and install that, choosing to reformat the hard drive during the setup. Otherwise, I don't see a way to remove the "blockers" and the other "work" software that may be on there.