802.11 pre-n/n wifi question

Old 01-05-07, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
802.11 pre-n/n wifi question

i've currently got an a/b/g network running right now. i'm considering getting a pre-n router just to play around with it. i know that the pre-n (sort of standard) is backwards compatible with b and g but does anyone know if i'll see any differences in throughput when compared to 'G' alone? I wanted to know if it would be faster overall for the G networked components? I don't want to HAVE to get a pre-n card. I would anyway, but does it improve bandwidth for the other standards? my laptops already have built in wifi b/g which is why i'm asking the question. if i don't need an adapter to get better performance.... thanks-

B.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-07, 05:34 AM
If your old router was doing its job correctly, you shouldn't see a speed increase on legacy devices.

Old 01-06-07, 05:56 AM
People are running out and purchasing these high speed routers without understanding their Internet connection or their hardware.

The fastest router in the world can not and will not go any faster when communicating with the Internet than the ISP allows. Depending on your connection, this may be 5 Mbps, 10 Mbps, or any speed higher, lower or between them.

The fastest NIC in the world cannot go faster than the computer can handle. Older machines are not lightning fast. Things like memory (how much and how fast) and hard drive speed also play into this.

Old 01-06-07, 06:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You should wait till they get the "N" standards worked out.. It'll be a year or two..
When I Wardrive, pre-N routers will lock my system up when I detect them.. They have a long way to go..

Old 01-06-07, 11:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree with Bob, you can't pour Coke out of bottle but so fast, and the computer is the problem, not the router. They keep touting the upcoming fiber optic system we will be getting in a few months, saying our speeds will increase astronomically. Yeah, right. Firehose to soda straw.

Old 01-06-07, 12:07 PM
Actually, I have a fiber optic internet connection. I pay for the cheapest service, which is 10 Mbps. For a little more money I could have 20 Mbps. For a lot more money I could have 50Mbps.

However, the question is why? One computer cannot handle that speed, and even though we have four that could be on-line at once, we don't all try to download large files at the same time.