slow going

Old 01-07-07, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
slow going

I have verizon DSL . It use to be fast, but now it is as slow as Dial-up.

Please tell me what I have to do to fix? I have windows XP, I have tried the systems restore but with no luck. Please I do not need a line of explainations as to all computer slow down from time to time if you can help me with my problems do not answer questions I have not asked.

I need my DSL to be as responsive as it use to be, that is what I newed help with nothing else.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-07, 04:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Call Verizon and ask what the problem is..
Just because the DSL is slow doesn't mean the computer is messed up..

Old 01-07-07, 04:19 PM
Thumbs up slow going

I know what you mean, I have checked with every tool at my disposal, and everything says that my computer is running as it should. But I am having to wait for minutes, to open things that used to take me a few seconds. I just recently posted a question to verizon, thanks for your help, if there are others that have suffered the same things that I have described and know of a certain cure I would appreciate it. I am, however, waiting for verizons response again, thanks a lot

Old 01-07-07, 06:25 PM
A lot of the time this happens to me, I stop the loading of the webpage, and try it again..

Old 01-07-07, 10:00 PM
Whether you want to hear it or not, I suspect that your computer needs to be completely rebuilt, software wise. System restore is NOT the same as starting over. If your computer is more than a year old and you use it regularly then it's time for this.

Old 01-08-07, 05:22 AM
I don't know where you learned that racraft, but it's not so..
Re-installation is not mandatory after a year, as you like to preach..

Old 01-08-07, 05:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 147 Posts
I always thought that one of the main things for keeping a pc up to speed was to regularly clean the disk and dispose of unneeded cookies. I use window cleaner [similiar to disk clean?] and defrag on a regular basis.

Old 01-08-07, 05:40 AM
That's pretty much all you have to do, besides not installing every junk program found on the I-net..

Old 01-08-07, 05:57 AM
AxlMyk,

The Windows Operating Systems (all versions) have inherent flaws in them. As you use the OS and install and uninstall programs the inner workings get clogged down with unneeded DLLs and other files that are left over and. Firther, many people have no idea what programs get installed and just how much their OS is slowed down by what they install.

To be sure, Windows XP is much better than the earlier versions of Windows, with the 9x versions (95, 98, MyEnemy) being the absolute worst. However, Windows XP still gets bogged down.

Some of this is intentional on Microsoft's part (top make it easier for developers), the rest (and it;s the majority) is just poor programming and bad decisions.

Unless the user is extremely diligent about keeping track of their system, and is careful to completely and thoroughly remove any and all un-needed programs, their system will get bogged down.

So no, I am not wrong. My statement applies to each and every Windows machine. The extent to which it applies to each user is different, with typical users needing to start over every year.

Old 01-08-07, 07:35 AM
And the "Typical" user is not going to have a clue as to how a re-installation is done.. Telling them that they must do it once a year is rediculous.. These things are scary to many people, and info like that makes it worse..

You would do them a much better service by suggesting what programs to use in order to keep their system running at peak performance..

Old 01-08-07, 08:22 AM
People who do not know how to maintain a compyuter need to learn, or they need to pay someone to do so.

I just read an article this weekend about how many spam emails have been sent by infected computers, and about how many infected computer are out there. The number are staggering.

People need to understand that owning a computer and connecting it to the Internet is not something to be taken lightly. They are risking not only their own personal information, but also the personal information they may have about someone else, such as email addresses, etc.

You cannot just buy a computer and do nothing to maintain it. It;s like a car. it needs routine maintenance. You either do it yourself, if you understand how and are capable, or you pay someone.

Re-installing the OS on a Windows computer is something that you either do periodically or you suffer the consequences. Just like you either maintain your car or you suffer the consequences.

maintaining a Windows computer is not something you can do solely by installing a program or two. Certainly everyone can and shoud run an anti-virus program and an anti-spyware program, but that is simply not enough. You must do more.

Old 01-08-07, 04:43 PM
heyyyy mopar, at one point in my internet life i went through this, how often does teh slowness happen???
if you mnotice it like for a few days once a month it is usually verizon updating or upgrading servers in the switching station, but what u can do (not sure if techs have told u about it) is resetting connection on modem, have u power cycled it??? reset connection by pressing reset button and going to 192.168.1.1(westellversalink 327w)? if modem asks for a user id and password they always say to put in admin for user name and password as password (lower case) this should get you in(i dont know if you had set a password on modem or not)

have you emptied the temp internet files and cookies??? antivirus,antispy,antiad scanned and up to date??? recieve all windows updates???

me and my dad woudl complain soo many times a month and the result, they helped us get verizon fios fibor optic lines. fios makes dsl look like dialup!! only 10 dollers more(39 a month)

for tech support its 1 888 567 6789 also ask person do to a line test, if theres a problem then its about time to go to faster speed, most of the time the internet problem isnt on your end, the line test tests 2 or 3 areas, computer to mdoem, modem to switching station and station to server, the problem i always had was between modem and switching station, they then felt bad and offered fios. i have had it since octobor and i love it!!!

please pm or reply with result of my ideas,

doordoctor

Old 01-09-07, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
People who do not know how to maintain a compyuter need to learn, or they need to pay someone to do so.

I just read an article this weekend about how many spam emails have been sent by infected computers, and about how many infected computer are out there. The number are staggering.

People need to understand that owning a computer and connecting it to the Internet is not something to be taken lightly. They are risking not only their own personal information, but also the personal information they may have about someone else, such as email addresses, etc.

You cannot just buy a computer and do nothing to maintain it. It;s like a car. it needs routine maintenance. You either do it yourself, if you understand how and are capable, or you pay someone.

Re-installing the OS on a Windows computer is something that you either do periodically or you suffer the consequences. Just like you either maintain your car or you suffer the consequences.

maintaining a Windows computer is not something you can do solely by installing a program or two. Certainly everyone can and shoud run an anti-virus program and an anti-spyware program, but that is simply not enough. You must do more.
Hi,

My first post here!

I agree in part to your statements. Not everyone is computer literate, let alone knowes what a spark plug is. To say someone should know to learn something about the subject is correct. But not everyone can learn about a particulair subject.

Most people just want the thing or things to just work. That's the American way. At least that's what everyone is conditioned to think.

To the subject at hand, most users of computers don't have the techno speak to convey or knowledge to maintain a computer, be for software or hardware. Windows has always been notorious as a bed of worms, pun intended. Simple daily, weekly or just some scheduled maintenance is above the average user.

In my experience, most M$ windows problems can be traced to the user. Some just open any or everything without thought (good social engineering) thus causing a problem. Be it for the browsers with data tracks, mines or whatever. Some can be removed with simple free tools like AdawareSE or other good tools.
Some users just install to see what the application is or to sample the app. Then improper removal thus leaving things (DLL) and other items on the system.

Sure everyone should have the basics, virus protection and firewall plus a good scheduled maintenance plan. The plan should include software and hardware.

Your solution of re-installing the OS is rather broad. A lot of users cannot re-install to solve the problem. Generally, most people want a simple solution (yours) while others want to know the cause. While other people will find the problem then the solution to the problem.

Sure, you could call the 'Geeks' and spend your money un-wisely. Or just send the money to me! Not all professionals are able to repair a downed peice of equipment, be a computer or a car. Heck, my physician even needs help at times.

I suppose you are a M$ Vista advocate.

Last edited by onebuck; 01-09-07 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling, where's the spell check
Old 01-09-07, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by mowpar View Post
I have verizon DSL . It use to be fast, but now it is as slow as Dial-up.

Please tell me what I have to do to fix? I have windows XP, I have tried the systems restore but with no luck. Please I do not need a line of explainations as to all computer slow down from time to time if you can help me with my problems do not answer questions I have not asked.

I need my DSL to be as responsive as it use to be, that is what I newed help with nothing else.
Hi,

Are you certain the problem is the DSL? What about the computer? Does the computer seem sluggish when doing something other than internet access?
Do you see a lot of HD activity?

Old 01-09-07, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I suggest you do a speed test then tell us what it says:

www.speedtest.net