Vista..Worth Waiting For?

Old 01-09-07, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista..Worth Waiting For?

My old computer is on it's last legs but still working. Should I wait for the new VISTA operating system to come out b4 I buy a new pc?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-07, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
IMO, microsoft turns out products with some bugs still needing to be worked out. If you want to wait for vista, I'd wait 6-12 months after release for these issues to be resolved. I'd buy now and just get a vista capable machine if you don't want to wait that long.

Old 01-09-07, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Devil5052 View Post
My old computer is on it's last legs but still working. Should I wait for the new VISTA operating system to come out b4 I buy a new pc?
Hi,

If you intend to buy a Vista Compatible computer then you will not get the system that will run the M$ OS at peek performance. Several hardware requirements that even the newest computer available cannot run some of the advanced OS functions.

Memory and routing for the kernel is just one that comes to mind. Some of the eye candy will be there but not all the advanced features.

You could look here;
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/93783/93783.html

Good article!

Old 01-09-07, 02:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
XP will be in use for several years.. If it were me, I would get an XP machine..

Old 01-09-07, 02:45 PM
I agree. Go with XP for now.

I tried a beta version of Vista, and I really didn't like it. It seemed like the major noticeable change is the appearance. Obviously they changed a lot more than just the appearance, but that is the most noticeable. I always turn of all the fancy appearance options and go with the standard windows look (pre-XP). So to me, it doesn't feel much different than XP. I actually found a lot of stuff annoying. Like not have the typical File, Edit, etc menus that we have been used to for many many years.

XP works great for me, so I see no reason to switch at this time.

I am going to wait until I am "forced" to upgrade, either by Microsoft or the community (by either one not supporting XP).

Old 01-09-07, 03:24 PM
If you need a new PC, buy one now. Do not bother with a Vista upgrade, or to upgrade when it comes out.

If you don't need a new PC then wait until you do.

Unless you got duped into buying Windows MyEnemy when it came out, you should stick with the OS delivered with your machine and not upgrade.

Old 01-19-07, 09:41 PM
Microsoft is issuing "Vista Upgrade Redemption" forms through "Authorized System Builders" whenever XP OEM is sold until March 15th, 2007.

What this means, is, if you walk into just about any local shop, buy any hardware necessary to operating a computer system (Taiwanese mouse!) you can purchase XP Home at OEM price; then flip that around to MS for Vista Home Basic or Home Premium upgrade, after the hype & bugs are worked out of course.

"Redemption cost will cover order processing, shipping, and handling. Taxes and Duties will be added as applicable. "

I'm guessing this will also soon be directly available through those same "Authorized System Builders", without S&H costs.