? about sp2 disk that I ordered from MS.

Old 01-10-07, 07:42 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
? about sp2 disk that I ordered from MS.

I upgraded 98se to win xp pro on one computer and xp home from 98se on my internet computer this last summer. (I've had these upgrades for 3 or 4 years but I was perfectly happly with 98se for surfing the internet, after I upgraded each when MS stopped supporting 98se, I download sp2 for each and it took a while, even over cable high speed internet. then I went in and download all the critical updates, which took a lifetime (around 40 or 50 updates for each). I'm getting ready to reinstall both xp pro and home as new installs (from the upgrade disk, now that I've finally found my old 98se disks) because I'm not happy with the xp upgrades keeping all the junk from 98se on board. my question, is, in december I ordered the sp2 upgrade from MS, so I have an sp2 original disk. since it was december 2006 when I ordered the sp2 disk upgrade, will this sp2 disk have most of the critical updates on it, or does MS just send out old sp2 disks and will I have to download another ton of critical updates for each computer from microsoft? and if I have to download all these critical updates again is there a way to save them to file and burn them to disk, so if I have to reinstall windows again, I won't have to spend a lifetime downloading critical upgrades? thx

Old 01-10-07, 07:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will still have to do some upgrading after the installations are done..

You should not have to install W98 first, but you need to have the install disks in order to install XP upgrades.. It will prompt you for the disks..

Old 01-10-07, 07:51 AM
R
The CD from Microsoft is the SP2 update It will not have any updates beyond that.

When you are done, before installing any hardware you can save your hard drive image, but you need to save an image for each system.

Old 01-10-07, 08:15 AM
J
The CD from Microsoft is the SP2 update It will not have any updates beyond that.
ok, so I'm basically, looking at a lot of download time on the internet again, which imo, is ridiculous. is there any way to save these initial critical updates to file, as well as any new critical updates that I download, so I can burn the initial critical updates to cd-rw (or dvd-rw) (or even save them to an external drive file, and then add the new critical updates to this cd-rw/dvd-rw/external HD file as they become available? -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------found this thru google. will this work? and does anyone perhaps have a link to better step by step directions for this procedure? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------reinstall Windows about once a year. Is there a way to save Windows XP updates and patches so I don't have to download them again?

You can download XP updates as program files, save them on your hard drive, reload them when you need to, and even share them between computers.

First, download Windows XP Service Pack 2. Keeping a reinstallable version of SP2 handy will save you more download time than all the other XP updates put together. Download SP2, or order the update on CD (note that the first of these two links begins the download automatically).

You'll find other Windows XP updates at Microsoft Windows Update. The site requires Internet Explorer 5 or later; so forget about using Firefox, Opera, or any other alternative browser. If the page generates an error message telling you that you must have an administrator account--even if you are logged on as an administrator--look at the top of the browser window for a message asking permission to install an ActiveX control. You need to grant permission to download the control before you can proceed.

When you get to the catalog page, click Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems. Choose Windows XP SP2, and then click Search, Critical Updates and Service Packs.

This will display a list of updates. Click the Add button under the relevant ones to place them in your download basket. When you're done, click Go to Download Basket, enter or select a download location, and click Download Now.

To begin patching, double-click the SP2 file, named WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe, and step through the installation wizard.

Last edited by jrx10; 01-10-07 at 08:32 AM. Reason: new info
Old 01-10-07, 08:53 AM
Sounds like it would work. Why do you need further instructions? It seems to explain everything you need to do. Download the updates and save them to your hard drive (which you can later burn to a cd). After you install windows, you can install each of the updates from the cd.

You can also combine the updates and sp2 to your windows xp installation cd, so that each time you install windows, the updates and sp2 are alreay installed. This gets even more complicated than what you are trying to do, and is only recommended for people who are good with computers. I have done it before and it works really well and saves tons of time if you reinstall often. Here are some links:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
http://bubble.ro/Create_complete_Windows_XP_disk_with_SP2_and_all_updates.html

Old 01-10-07, 09:00 AM
J
I have done it before and it works really well and saves tons of time if you reinstall often. Here are some links:
-------- I've got the slipstream for both home and pro combined on the HDs and ready to burn, but I didn't know you could add the critical updates to the slipstream. that would save internet download time. thx.

Old 01-15-07, 12:25 PM
Here is a tool that also might help.

AutoPatcher could be described as an offline Windows Update. AutoPatcher provides an interface to a large collection of updates, common applications and registry tweaks, that can be easily and quickly applied to your computer system.

I have never tried it, but it looks interesting.

http://www.autopatcher.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: