ok you pros, here's another one. dual-boot

Old 01-10-07, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking ok you pros, here's another one. dual-boot

when I upgraded the 98se to xp pro, I had the 98se on a small 10 gig partition with plenty of room. when I upgraded to xp pro upgrade version, the combination of the upgrade, the sp2, and my program files/and docs ate up that 10 gig pretty quick, so after a couple of days, xp pro would send a pop-up that it was running out of room. microsoft's solution to me was to install xp pro as a clean install to the ntfs formatted 1st partition of my 2nd hard-drive for a dual boot situation (or dual boot manager--separate drives), then I could transfer my files over from the xp "upgrade" version to the xp "clean Install" version. the problem is that I've transferred my files now, pulled the old HD with the xp upgrade and installed the 2nd HD (with xp pro clean install) as the primary alone....but the computer won't boot. from what I've read the master boot log (or whatever you guys call it) is on the xp upgrade harddrive (and not the clean install secondary drive). now, I've got a new 300 gig HD. if I pull both old HDs, insert that new clean HD, and install xp pro as a new clean install on it, install sp2, get all the updates, then insert the secondary drive (xp pro clean install but without the master boot log )that has all my files on it back as the secondary drive, will the new " xp pro clean install boot drive" pick up the 1st win xp pro clean install on the secondary drive as a dual-boot, or will it just simply ignore that xp pro install on the secondary, so after transferring all the info back to the new primary, I can reformat that partition after transferring all my files back to the new boot drive, and move on? thx (btw, that's it. I'll never upgrade OSs again. always a clean install from here on out, and in at least a 25 to 30 gig partition)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-07, 01:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It shouldn't be possible for the second HD to be a boot disk because the installation was done when it was C: drive, and everything installed on it wants C: ..

Old 01-10-07, 01:13 PM
No it will not see the second hard drive as a bootable drive.

Old 01-10-07, 09:22 PM
tae
It's a computer, and anything is possible. I have 2 xp drives, and can boot from either one. It offers me the option upon startup which one to use. yours probably will too, since it was made as a secondary boot drive. this can be changed in the boot files though. If this does happen to you, make sure which one is actually booting before wiping anything.