Task Manager

Old 01-11-07, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Task Manager

I have a question about Processes listed in Windows Task Manager. My computerseems to be running a bit slower lately and I noticed in Task Manager that there are as many as 95 processes running. Some are listed as SYSTEM and some as Owner. Average memory usage of each is probably 30,000K or more.

My question is, how do I figure out which ones I can safely shut down? I assume that SYSTEM processes shouldn't be touched, but I only recognize a few of the Owner processes and I'm hesitant to close them without knowing what they are.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-07, 10:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For the most part, those should be left alone.. If you shut anything down, it'll start again at the next boot-up.. Many of those are virus, firewall, etc. entries..

What you can do is go to Start - Run and type in services.msc and see what that brings up.. Do not use msconfig for this..
There is a whole lot going on there.. This is NOT for the weak of heart to play with.. It can really screw up your system if you do things wrong..

In order to find out what services is all about, I suggest you go to
http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
There is a lot of info there..

Old 01-11-07, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
I've always had good success Googling the names of the precesses with which I was unfamiliar.

Old 01-11-07, 05:07 PM
tae
anything over 30 bothers me. 95 and I would be reformatting. There is way to much stuff on there. You need to clean house. You might be amazed at how slow your computer has gotten, and you don't realize it since it happened slowly.

Old 01-11-07, 08:30 PM
Try this site. At the bottom of the web page there are other types of processes.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/system/