w2k and internet backgrounds

Old 01-12-07, 09:26 AM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
w2k and internet backgrounds

Hi all. I have a w2k machine, fully updated. It won't allow any browser to see any backgrounds or colored links/words. I can see the background if I save it and view as a jpg or gif or whatever.All web pages just show up as white background. I have repaired and sfc'd. i know it has got to be something simple, but Can't figure out what. Any help?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-07, 11:43 AM
Check Tools, Options, Content, Colors to see if you have that set in a manner you don't want.

Old 01-12-07, 12:48 PM
tae
done that. I've set it every which way, and it makes no difference. I also discovered that under the windows display backgrounds, I cant see several of them, and it says i must activate active desktop. When I do so, it still leaves the desktop white. No background. It must be a windows problem, or i guess it could be a video problem. I am running an radeon 7000 card with tv out. I tried disabling the tv out, and still no difference.

Old 01-12-07, 02:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this a desktop or browser problem? Your posts indicate both..
Are you using IE ver7?

Old 01-12-07, 04:37 PM
tae
I noticed it using a browser. like I said, any browser is affected.I have tried several. This made me think it was a windows problem, not the browsers. then this afternoon while troubleshooting, i discovered that if i go into the display properties, and try to select a different desktop background only about 4 are viewable. The others all request me to turn on active desktop. When i do that, I just get the white background like I remember active desktop going to when something would happen to the computer, and you would have to click something that said something like reactive the desktop, or whatever. the desktop that is there now is a custom picked jpg or bmp, not sure which. I wont have access to the machine again till monday, but keep any ideas coming. If it was my machine, i would just overlay the O.S., but it's not mine. this is one of those little problems/annoyances that is driving me crazy!

Old 01-12-07, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A couple things I found using google:

The MRU silent utility that is loaded during startup seems to be causing an Active Restore Desktop (the white screen with no desktop settings) problem to occur rather often.

I disables it via MSCONFIG and it did in fact go away.

What is the proper way to remove this from startup in the registry, or is there a fix?

If you mean the MRU-Blaster Silent clean shortcut, that was an option in install, and is simply located in your StartUp folder in your Start Menu.

If you mean the MRU-Blaster scheduler, simply open it and select "remove all settings". Then delete the shortcut to the Scheduler from your StartUp folder in your Start Menu.

This can also be caused by users making the Desktop 'Active', to display their homepage, a stock ticker, or something else of interest to them. To disable that setting:

Right-click the Desktop.

Choose Properties.

Click the Desktop tab in the dialog that appears.

Click the 'Customize Desktop' button in the panel labeled Display Properties.

Click the 'Web' tab in the Desktop Items dialog.

UN-Check any website page boxes that are selected.

Click OK, OK.

Apparently my ISP were having a problem with DNS resolution.

You dont have to have active desktop _enabled_ in order to use jpg wallpapers, just need it installed. What you are seeing is the result of having it set to load a webpage/html file on the desktop that it cant load. Your best bet is to find out what regtweak is causing this and disable that regtweak.

Old 01-12-07, 07:22 PM
tae
is it probable that active directory may not be installed? this computer was set up years ago by someone who actually knew what they were doing. it was part of a network, domain, domain controller, etc. i am sure it was setup to be very secure. It is not a server o.s......could this cause the browsers problem? the 2 examples you gave dont apply here, as i'm 99% sure mru blaster isn't installed(cant be 100% without it in front of me, but will check mon.) and there isnt any active anything trying to get loaded. Since it asks to turn on active directory, either it's not installed, or it was manually shut out? Thanks for your help!