Keyboard CTRL + SHFT

Old 01-14-07, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Keyboard CTRL + SHFT

Here's a weird one. I tried asking 3 of the talented IT guys in my office and they never heard of the problem. On my work laptop, an IBM connected to a docking station, I will be typing an e-mail or working on a spreadsheet and all of a sudden the keyboard will be stuck in "shift". Numbers will turn into symbols (1 + !, . = >) and the only way to fix it is to press "CTRL & SHIFT" at the same time, but what makes it stranger is that sometimes the key combination on the left side works, sometimes the right side. Do any of you know of a setting I need to change, or what I could possibly be doing to enact this constant state of "Shift"? I've already replaced the keyboard before I figured out that ctrl shift was the solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-07, 10:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device manager and update the keyboard drivers..
Check IBM for new ones..

Old 01-14-07, 01:53 PM
Received 86 Votes on 79 Posts
Clean the keyboard. Might just be a stuck shift key.

Old 01-14-07, 02:10 PM
Could be Sticky Keys, a windows accessibility feature. Try pressing SHIFT 5 times in a row. A window should appear called Sticky Keys. Click settings, and uncheck the Use Sticky Keys option if it is checked.

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/stickykeys.aspx

Old 01-15-07, 07:52 AM
I appreciate your suggestions, it's not sticky keys and the keyboard (second one because of this issue) is brand new. I'll have to check with the IT guy about updating drivers, that's a little above my head and I wouldn't want to screw up my work computer. One thing I noticed and forgot to mention is that when I use the computer as a laptop, the 10 key imbedded in the keyboard is often activated.