I.E. 7 running slow

Old 01-19-07, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I.E. 7 running slow

Hi-
Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.
I have IE 7, Windows XP. My computer is an Acer 4400 Travelmate. Plenty of computing power (100 GB hard drive, 512 DDR RAM, AMD Turion 64 ML-30 processor). Hard drive has only 15% srorage used up. I have a cable modem. Not using my wireless router in order to have the fastest speed. Did a speed check. 2.0 mbps upstream, 7.8 mbps downstream. The last 2 days it takes forever for a page to finish loading, and hyperlink video boxes mostly "x" out instead of preview. My mail is slow as well. I have run CA virus, Norton Spyware, Windows Defender. All show no viruses, or any problems. Have done a Disk Defrag. All to no avail. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Ray.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-07, 02:02 PM
Maybe you could try Firefox to see if it is faster.

Also, is it particular websites or every website?

Old 01-19-07, 02:05 PM
Go back to IE-6 and see if the problem is resolved. Many have deleted IE-7 and returned to IE-6 because of problems.

Old 01-19-07, 03:07 PM
Kchinth-
Installed Firefox. Definitely faster than IE 7. Did a comparison between the two. Firefox is faster, but still some video and or picture hyperlinks are slow to load on the page. As to what websites- the nearest i could tell is that if the page has text only it is very fast. Google's home page comes in super fast.

Old 01-19-07, 08:51 PM
Google's your yardstick. Those other pages, blame it on their servers.

Old 01-20-07, 05:46 AM
Thanks to all. I have converted to Firefox. Definitely faster. The only drawback I see is that IE 7 has Norton Spyware attached to it. Any suggestions for a add on to Firefox to block spyware?
Thanks.
Ray.

Old 01-20-07, 11:13 AM
You don't need one.

There are plenty of add-ons though. One good one is Adblock Plus. It will block all the ads that show up on pages.

Old 01-20-07, 12:00 PM
Besides an antivirus (AVG), I use three products:

SpywareBlaster

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

This is mainly for IE. Firefox just isn't so vulnerable. What SpywareBlaster will do is give Firefox a large and updated no-go list of nasty servers. These are servers browsers get detoured through before you know anything's happened. The browser gets fed cookies and the general shakedown, over and over, almost invisibly to the user. Tracking.

Spybot - Search & Destroy

http://www.spybot.info

Like SpywareBlaster, it "immunizes" against overt or covert contact with blacklisted servers. It also scans the system for spoor.

Ad-Aware

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

A robust spyware, malware, nastyware scanner.

For Firefox, you might like Adblock Plus

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/

It's a manual ad-blocker. Right click any ad, select "block..." and next time you view the page, nothing. This action blocks more ads than just the one, because it blocks the ad server.

EDIT: Just noticed Adblock Plus also offers filter subscriptions. Choose a filter provider. Option to update automatically.

It blocked ads on this forum. I tested Fox News and couldn't find an ad there, even.

Last edited by Kobuchi; 01-20-07 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-20-07, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by argekay View Post
Thanks to all. I have converted to Firefox. Definitely faster. The only drawback I see is that IE 7 has Norton Spyware attached to it. Any suggestions for a add on to Firefox to block spyware?
Thanks.
Ray.
Hi,

I keep my firefox addons/extentions to a minimum;

Mr Tech
fasterfox
adblock with filter-g set
noscript
foxforecast
showip
serverspy
bookmark sync and sort
java

All these can be had from firefox site. I'm still using firefox 1.5 on a old gateway solo 2500 laptop w/slackware linux xfce desktop.

As for your problems, try adaware se to make sure you don;t have data mines or tracks, or possibly keyspies.

Old 01-20-07, 02:50 PM
I thank you all for your time and knowledge!
Ray.

Old 01-20-07, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Perhaps a little late but here's an article that talks about IE 7 being slow. Something to do with a filter.

http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/070118

Almost half way down the page is:

"Is IE 7 too slow opening new sites?"

Last edited by Baldwin; 01-20-07 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-20-07, 07:41 PM
IE7 has a new "anti phishing" setup that checks a Microsoft website against a known list. That activity has been known to slow IE7 down a good bit. Try turning it off in your security options and see if that doesn't make quite a difference.

Old 01-25-07, 06:12 AM
Thanks to all for your responses. Turned off the phishing filter and I am running faster. Also-I am running a wireless network, and turned it off for a few hours, now I am running fast again. My network is not WPA or WEP protected, and I am thinking that some of my neighbors may be hogging my bandwidth. Is it possible that my page load time is increasing because of this? Also, is it easy to set up a WEP or WPA, and can somebody explain to me how to do this?
Thanks again!
Ray

Old 01-25-07, 07:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Read the manual for the router for how to set up WPA.. If you don't have it, go to the website..

Old 01-25-07, 08:03 AM
argekay, if neighbors are using your wireless router then bandwidth is the least of your problems. Security is the problem. If you have ever done any on-line banking or on your computer (wireless or not) or if you have ever accessed any web sites for your credit cards then I would immediately suggest that you change your account numbers.

Turn off your wireless router and do not turn it on until you are ready to setup security. WPA2 is the best. WPA is next in line. WEP is behinds that. Further, turn OFF the broadcasting of the network name. And finally, disable DHCP and hard wire your IP addresses and enable MAC address authentification.

Old 01-25-07, 03:12 PM
Again thanks to all for your valuable information. Racraft- I am now going straight through my cable modem until I install WPA2. I have some questions on it. Will ask this weekend. Fortunately we don't do any online banking or credit card transaction.
Ray.

Old 01-27-07, 09:46 AM
2x2
High speed light-I.E. 7

I have high speed light I notice the downloading is slower
but high speed light is 25 dollars a month cheaper then High speed basics
If I had high speed basics my download and upload times would greatly increase but then it cost 25 dollars more? Go figure